I don't have insurance, can I still get my tubes tied?

DH and I concluded we no longer want anymore children. But we don't have any insurance to help with getting some kind of permanent birth control. We can't afford it just like we can't afford any more kids. And we aren't necessarily trying to give up our sex life unless it becomes the only and final option. I don't like any of the temporary options since they're not as foolproof as the latter. So does anyone know if there are clinics available that offer the procedures at reduced rates? Would I even qualify for a tubal? I'm 23 and have 2 kids.

FYI, yea, I'd be lucky to convince Dh to get vasect. He changes his mind like the wind. Sometime it pisses me off that he would rather keep useless semen than his and our sanity. Abstinence will probably be my only hope, lol.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:31 PM on May. 24, 2010 in Health

• in my state you have to be at least 21, so im guessing you would qualify... I don't know of any clinics that would do it but you could set up a pmt plan with your hospital... I know how you feel, we don't have any insurance and I WANTED to get my tubes tied- which I did and I set up a pmt plan. Its a hassle, but better than getting pregnant. Although, be aware that it isn't 100%, my cousin got pregnant after getting hers tied 2 TIMES! Just some food for thought! =P
    Anonymous

• Tubals are very expensive! I would suggest that you look in to an IUD which will keep you from becoming pregnant for 5 years. At your age the doctors may have an issue with doing the tubal in the first place.

You do have some other options though... Look in to a medical discount program or talk to some local clinics and see what other options they have...

However I feel that at your age, an IUD is your best option.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:36 PM on May. 24, 2010

• You also need to know that the younger you have your tubes tied the higher your chances of a "change of life baby" are. Because the tubes will "loosen" over about 7 to 10 years... So that means the longer you wait the better...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:37 PM on May. 24, 2010

• OP here- See, this is all the more reason I wish DH would agree to a vasectomy. I've had 4 miscarriages in the past and I know IUDs and ligations carry significant risks, especially if I get pregnant. My body has been through too much already. Sorry, I'm venting within this question, too.
    Anonymous

• I am first annon: I got implanon after my second baby and I LOVED it... i never got a period so there was no chance I could got pregnant. it was about 250-300 dollars and lasts for 3 years, that way you could have time to save up the money for the next one in the next three years, if you do decide to get it put it again.
    Anonymous

• Honestly getting your tubes tied without insurance would probably cost $5,000+. You are not going to find a clinic that does this because clinics are not hospitals, they don't have operating rooms for MAJOR surgery, they can perform some simple procedures.

Now a tubal like I said is going to cost $5,000+ while a vasectomy is about $300.

I've ben on the depo shot. It costs about $80 every 3 months, but i've also been bleeding almost non stop for the last 4 of the 6 months i've been on it. My husband has his vasectomy appointment already set for next month.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 3:19 PM on May. 24, 2010