Does hand sanitizer really clean?

Does it really eliminate germs? It seems like the germs should "go" somewhere! Especially after you use the restroom!

Laura2U

Asked by Laura2U at 12:33 PM on May. 24, 2010 in Health

• It doesn't clean- just kills germs. All the microbes are still there.
    HistoryMamaX3

Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 12:34 PM on May. 24, 2010

• I really don t know I always ask the same question
    Imane1215

Answer by Imane1215 at 12:35 PM on May. 24, 2010

• My doctor said that it doesn't clean, it kills germs. But it kills the bad and the good germs.
    leslie_zoe2010

Answer by leslie_zoe2010 at 12:39 PM on May. 24, 2010

• So should you still wash your hands with water afterward? Or wipe it off?
    Laura2U

Answer by Laura2U at 1:33 PM on May. 24, 2010

• the "germs" that are killed by the alcohol in the sanitizer do not go anywhere. the dead germ stays on you. i assume at some point you will stick your hands under the faucet and rinse them away! i would choose soap and water over sanitizer any day...i would prefer a non antibacterial soap too...they seem to be hard to come by though! don't spend too much time worrying about germs, there are the good, the bad and the ugly...and we need them all : )
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 1:38 PM on May. 24, 2010

• Happy2bmommy, I agree with you about antibacterial soap. It has shown to get rid of essential hand germs, therefore exposing your bare skin to all kinds of yucky germs. And I hate, hate bathroom sopas in public bathrooms, they stink horridly! So I usually use hand sanitizer when I'm out. But then I wonder where those germs went? So maybe it's best to use hand sanitizer, and then wash or wipe your hands?
    Laura2U

Answer by Laura2U at 2:09 PM on May. 24, 2010

• Soap and water are best.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:33 PM on May. 24, 2010

• I feel the same way you do Laura. I would wash with soap and water in those nasty public bathrooms, then use hand sanitizer to get the smell away. :)
    corbysmom531

Answer by corbysmom531 at 6:54 PM on May. 24, 2010