sperm time line? ... a testing Q

had sex ago 17 days ago
yesterday had about a teaspoon of bloodloss and no mo
no cramps, facial breakouts. etc to alert me a period is coming
Cannot tell you when my LMP was since I generally have 2 a month
so my period is due, but impossible to say how many days late

home test or clinic for blood test or wait another few days? No clue on how timeline of fertilization works. HELP HELP HELP!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:33 PM on May. 24, 2010 in Trying to Conceive

• After sex, sperm can meet egg up to 6 days after... sooner if you've already ovulated or are ovulating when you have sex, but the sperm can live up to 6 days (though usually much shorter). After that it takes a few more days to move to your uterus and implant. That's when you start making the hormone that the tests can detect. And some women wake a detectable amount right away, others don't. It's rare, but not impossible, to have a positive test 7 days after the relevant sex. 14 days is more common, but for many women, it's 3 weeks before anything shows. A blood test is accurate sooner. In your position, at 17 days past sex, I would buy a home test. If you're not reassured by the results, I would go to the doc, because a negative test from there at this late date would be a pretty good bet you're not pregnant.
    Anonymous

• If you're 17 days past when the egg would be fertilized, you can go ahead and try to test at home. If it's negative, wait a week to see if your period comes. If it doesn't, test again. If still negative, then I would look into going to a clinic to figure out what's going on. I once skipped my period for almost 3 months, and for no apparent reason.
    Anonymous