How do you know if your child is going to get free food at school?

If he gets medicaid does that mean we qualify for low income? He has pervasive developmental disorder and is going to kindergarden, so i'm new to this as well.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:35 PM on May. 24, 2010 in

• They send home a questionaire for everyone at the begining of the school year. They want everyone to fill it out because the schools make money off of everyone they can get to qualify. So chances are they will find a way for you to qualify.
    Anonymous

• At the beginning of the school year you apply for free/reduced lunch. It's based on income, you'll need to provide income info (all we need is the cover page from our most recent tax return).
    Anonymous

• You will fill out a meal form at the beginning of the school year. It usually takes about 2 weeks to process. I know that we will qualify for free meals but for those first 2 weeks until I get the approval letter, I send in packed lunches otherwise they will charge full price for a lunch which here it is $2.80 per day.
    Anonymous

• I already registered my son for school last year but they didn't tell me anything about the free school lunch, was I suppouse to ask????
    Anonymous

• No - they send it home during the 1st week of school, generally the 1st day or the 1st Friday.

Answer by missanc at 7:48 PM on May. 24, 2010

• Stop by the school and pick up the forms and see if you qualitfy

Answer by admckenzie at 1:25 PM on May. 26, 2010

• Go to the school and pick up an application. Then you will be sent one every summer to see if you still qualify. Just because you have medicaid doesn't mean you will qualify for free or reduced lunch. If you had food stamps, you would automatically qualify. I used to get $10 a month in food stamps and kept the case open so I could get free/reduced school lunch because at $100 or more a month, that is a lot of money for school lunches.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 2:54 PM on May. 26, 2010