My son STILL won't sleep??

I posted a ?? a while back about how my kids aren't sleeping long enough. Got some great suggestions! thanks! I tried them out- blackout curtains, some bread before bedtime to keep their tummies content... but they're still not sleeping! Last night was the worst- my 2 year old went to sleep around 3:30 AM and woke up at 7:30 AM!! NOT COOL! How can I get him to sleep longer?! This can't be healthy....

livn4hevn

Asked by livn4hevn at 12:50 PM on May. 24, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• how long is their nap time? could they be getting too much sleep then? this would be my first guess. shorten up their time at nap just a little. see if that helps.
    Anonymous

• Talk to your doctor. There could be something going on inside making them not sleep. Have their ears checked too for ear infection.
    Anonymous

• Honestly I disagree with the first suggestion... No amount of nap during the day should be keeping a 2 year-old up until 3:30. The problems you describe sounds like something that would result from a long history of unhealthy sleep habits. I don't think there will be a quick-fix solution... I fervently recommend that you check out a copy of No Cry Sleep Solutions for Toddlers and Preschoolers (Elizabeth Pantley). Your library probably has it. You kids sound like they are in a bad place and their lack of good quality sleep will indeed start to manifest itself in their overall physical and mental health and development, if it hasn't already. And you should definitely talk with their doctor about this. 2 year olds have sleep troubles, it comes with the territory, but this is extreme. You may have to totally rethink your approach to rest in your whole family. But start with that book and a doctor's appt.
    Anonymous

• I agree with the first poster!! When my DD would nap she would not sleep. When she wakes up after 9:30 AM she won't sleep. I cut out her naps and wake her before 9:30 every morning and she will sleep!!!!! If I even go one day and she wakes at like 10ish she will not be in bed until after 1 AM. I know what you are saying and OMG is it ever annoying. I hope you figure it out. PLease PM if you would like!
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 1:27 PM on May. 24, 2010

• Anon 10:06 they don't have a long history of unhealthy sleep habits.... he was taking 2 hour naps during the afternoon, in bed by 8, sometimes not asleep until about 9:30 or so, but usually by 9. And then he'd wake up around 7 or 8. We don't do sweets, we don't do preservatives. I'm not sure what you were getting at when you said "your kids sound like they are in a bad place". That really ticked me off. I really hope you're not saying I'm somehow abusing my kids or something?!?! If this was a long-term problem i wouldn't have posted the day after it happened..... this is unusual... which is WHY I posted!!! We've made sure to adjust their diet and daily schedules to maintain a healthy lifestyle. If you could explain what you mean further, I'd appreciate it.
    livn4hevn

Answer by livn4hevn at 1:36 PM on May. 24, 2010

• livn I think maybe they could also be excited! Are they doing exciting things since the weather is nicer? That happened to my DD once the weather got nicer she didn't want to sleep because she was sooo excited she just wanted to keep playing. I stuck to her routine and eventually it worked!

delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 4:04 PM on May. 24, 2010

• My son goes through growing pains which makes him very restless and not want to sleep.. its tough as tylenol doesn't really help either and he can't take motrin. Not saying that's what your babies are going through but my son has been waking for the past 6 months and I keep being told I am the one making it turn in to a habit but if I let him CIO he freaks out mad and throws himself against the wall or the bed and hurts himself.. I don't know.. good luck, I know how frustrating it can be to be lacking on sleep, it sure doesn't help the patience!!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:11 PM on May. 24, 2010

• Well my kids are weird sleepers too, but I know why. They have autism and their senses are highly overloaded. I assume you don't have any such diagnosis so I am thinking technology maybe?? Try turning off the TV and other electronics and hour or two before bedtime. You can use this time to give them a warm bath and massage them with lotion. One of the more odd remedies I've heard for sleep issues is to put a raw cut onion under their pillow. I've not tried it, but you just never know.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:23 PM on May. 24, 2010

• yesterday I kept him up from naptime, but he still fell asleep on the floor (despite my best efforts!!!) for about an hour. We turned off the TV after dinner and read a few books, took a bath, and had him take a whack at potty training (he's physically ready, but just won't take the plunge!!) He went to bed a little earlier because he was a grump, but slept through the night and I WOKE HIM at 9:30! It was heavenly! Thanks for your help ladies. It seems like a combination of all of these things is working really well!!! We went ahead and scheduled a doctors appointment anyways, but it's about 2 weeks out. If something changes between now and then, or the current process STOPS working, we can talk to the docs about it at that point :) Thanks again! you were tons of help!
    livn4hevn

Answer by livn4hevn at 2:39 PM on May. 25, 2010