I often think of the song "Cats in the Cradle" when I read some questions...

I often think of the song "Cats in the Cradle" by Harry Chapin when I read some questions here on CM.
Questions like: I' m So stressed.... Why is my 5 Month old so clingy & always want's to be held all the time? Why won't my 1 year old hold thier own bottle? When will my 2 year old be able to wipe themselves? When will my Toddler be able to bathe themselves?
First, I think to myself "are you kidding"? Then I say be very careful what you wish for because time goes too fast and "why can't you enjoy & appreciate every moment when they are so little? This is such a precious time. I admit I have some stressful days but I would never wish away these golden years.
The end of the song goes:
And as I hung up the phone it occurred to me
He'd grown up just like me
My boy was just like me

I will make every effort now to appreciate every moment because very soon they will have thier own life.
Just a rant..............

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:55 PM on May. 24, 2010 in General Parenting

• I agree with you. That song makes me sad everytime I hear it! :-(

I was thinking about all the people who make me feel like a bad mom because I like changing diapers, and have no plans to potty train my precious 23 month old for at least another year or so. Or the fact that she still likes her milk in a bottle, and her paci at night. That I enjoy holding her sometimes when we're on an outing, even though she knows full well how to walk. She is my BABY, and I'm soaking up every little bit of time I get while she is still a baby. I don't want to regret anything. And I'm not going to rush her just because others think I should.

Thank you for your question...it really made my day!! :-)
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 1:44 PM on May. 24, 2010

• i dont mind doing the little things for my dd, and when she was a baby i held her all the time! why not? it's the only time in their life you will get to cradle them in your arms and rock them to sleep. time goes by too fast, she will be a back talking teenager soon enough. lol
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 1:01 PM on May. 24, 2010

• I think it's possible to appreciate the time with your kids while they are young while wanting to know info about development. My almost 4 year old son will not poop in the potty. I'm not wishing away his childhood by wanting him to stop crapping in his pants. I enjoy the fact that he loves his mommy above all others, but sometimes I just want to be able to do something - anything by myself. I know how fast kids grow, my oldest will be 12 in July and I'm pretty sure he was just born yesterday.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 1:12 PM on May. 24, 2010

• I agree with you...

I usually tell them to back off, they are only babies for a minute and grown ups forever. Who gives a rat's a$$ if your not even in school yet isn't off the boob, paci or out of diapers. Pretty sure they will be soon enough. I was like all the parent's that I hate now. But, I was young and had NO! access to internet and book info. I know everyone does now, so, read up and learn to let you kid lead the way in some things. It is ok....LOL
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:14 PM on May. 24, 2010

• Of course I agree with you in many respects... we get understandably excited just as our kids do when they learn something new... we marvel at their development and naturally ask ourselves, what's next. I can tell you that I, for one, seeing my first daughter about to turn 3, want to put a halt on it all! I see my little one, too, losing some of her babyish mannerisms already... they're both potty trained... ). But in any case, the 5 month old with a "clingy" baby needs to know, of course, that it's a normal and natural phase, but that doesn't mean she doesn't need support and sympathy from other moms. This stuff is tough... and it's hard to always know what is in your child's best interest, and negotiate our own limited human capacities, measure our kids' quest for independence against our desires to protect and nurture... I see your point, but if think about where people are coming from, you can be supportive instead of mad
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 1:30 PM on May. 24, 2010

• BRAVO to OP & Fallaya!!!! :)
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 2:40 PM on May. 24, 2010

• OP here, hey, I know how stressful it is being a Mom and I am far from perfect. I am not mad but I think many of us including myself needs to stand back occasionally and look at the BIG Picture. This time in a childs life only comes once. Why do we have to rush every aspect of a childs life these days?? what is the major rush to achieve every milestone before the next person? I think we unknowingly put unncessary pressures on ourselves and our children. Like, I have to Potty train by this age because that is what I am supposed to do... I have to have them off the boob/bottle by this age because that's what everyone says... My baby needs to walk & talk by this age....
    Why can't we all give advise like "When your baby is ready, he/she will be ready" to do whatever?? I see a lot of Moms very stessed out because thier children are not Doing things when they are "supposed to" so the Moms don't have to. & then the baby grows up..
    Anonymous

• That song used to bring tears to my eyes when I worked. I missed my eldests first steps! I cherish every moment with my boys, because I know these times don't last forever. But the stressors in my life are things other than my children that sometimes taint my world. But not everybody has the same experiences. But I do think to myself sometimes that in the future they'll realize what they've missed but it will be too late.
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 7:39 PM on May. 24, 2010