Painting

I am getting ready to paint my house and I wanted to know what paint brand would hold up best when I need to clean it. My two year old like to draw on the walls and I don't want the paint to come off when I have to scrub at it.

JDalila

Asked by JDalila at 12:57 PM on May. 24, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I've used a lot of paint in my time, and the only brand I can recommend anymore isn't available in any store, it's special order and it is sooooo worth it!
    Anonymous

• We use Olympic zero VOC paint because it is way less toxic. You can get it in several finishes. Lowes carries it. You can speak with the person at the paint counter and look at the gloss-chart. We used the semi-gloss in our bathroom and the egg shell in our nursery. It's pretty durable stuff. No smell! No sick kids!
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 1:08 PM on May. 24, 2010

• I agree with ecodani. You can get other brands of low/no VOC paints and i'd definately use those for all rooms in your house. VOC's are toxic and can cause respiratory problems and allergies in you and your baby. And VOC's are typicaly 2-5 times higher in concentration in our homes. When you paint your walls with regular paint the VOC's emit the toxic vapor for up to 2 years after you paint
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 3:09 PM on May. 24, 2010

• The finish is the main thing when it comes to washability. The glossier the finish, the better the paint will hold up to washing. If you want low-lustre, go with eggshell finish, rather than flat. If you can take a little gloss, go with semi-gloss.
    Anonymous

• I agree about the finish versus the type of paint. In my experience, the higher quality of paint covers better, easier, with less coats, but as far as washing/scrubbing, its the finish that matters. I paint all of my walls semi gloss, because I like to wash walls once or twice a year :)
    mrsderekjeter

Answer by mrsderekjeter at 4:14 PM on May. 25, 2010