Why middle-class families in America can't afford services that are easily available for low-income families?

Daycare, Preschool, After School, Recreational programs are available free of cost as long as you meet certain criteria. Families with low income are entitled to these programs.
Middle-class families are expected to pay for these services but it seems that these families can't afford them.

I think that the main reason the middle-class families can't afford these programs is because they splurge. JMO

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:11 PM on May. 24, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• there are a whole host of things that low income families can recieve that middle income families can't... WIC, food stamps, housing assistance, etc

Doesn't make it right or wrong, it is just the way it is
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 1:14 PM on May. 24, 2010

• Yeah okay. WE make too much to get these for free and other things like PA. But are too broke to afford most.

We make about 1800 a month after car insurance, rent, cable/internet, phones, electric, gas for vehicles.
    That leaves us about 540 not including if we are 5 days late for paying rent that is another 50. So we have 540 a month for groceries, diapers and other need. Expalain how your ASSUMPTION fits in this situation.
    mrsbean08

Answer by mrsbean08 at 1:18 PM on May. 24, 2010

• you can be on the lower end of middle class and have about as much cash to work with as those in poverty,
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:18 PM on May. 24, 2010

• I am considered middle-class where I am from and we qualify for wic, once in a while kids connection. My husband owns his OWN business and I work part-time and even though we are considered middle class in NO way do we "splurge." We have enough for our needs and to pay bills and put food on the table.
    Anonymous

• I went through a divorce and nothing opens your eyes to the system and where you fit in then going through a divorce. I was shocked to learn what I couldnt recieve and shocked to learn where I fit in when calculating mutual divisions. It sucks. But, I went full circle with this and now I believe that if you are truly low income, then how the hell can you afford the stuff the rest of us can get. Its vertually impossible for a family that makes less then $15,000 a year to get anything at all. Did you know that the average income of people who live in Los Angeles is $15,000 or less a year! Heard that on the radio the other day.
    Anonymous

• I can afford all of those, and I'm not considered "middle class". I'm not poor enough to qualify for any government support programs for that matter, either.

We don't "splurge" - we simply pay our bills and live properly. We have virtually no debt.

We can very easily pay for daycare and any other programs - it's called living on a budget. We do it with a family of 5 and 3 dogs, all on less than $40K per year.
    Fawn80

Answer by Fawn80 at 1:23 PM on May. 24, 2010

Yes, for the government you make too much. The difference her is that YOU HAVE THE MONEY you can work your budget. Low income families have no salary, no union benefits, no bonuses, they don't have pay vacations, 401K etc.
    Anonymous

• I went through a divorce and nothing opens your eyes to the system and where you fit in then going through a divorce.

But there are programs for single mothers who don't make enough income.
    Anonymous

• That is why I finally figured it out, when I was a single mother going to college getting no help, and no child support-- I figured out you have to PLAY POOR OR BE POOR!!! Work 40 hours a week at my crappy job, live in a small place that is paid for--claim 0 on your W2 so you get $10,000 back for a refund, tell Social services that I went on a bender at the casino and lost it all, how can they prove different. Mean while live on you crappy budget, get food stamps and medical assistance, and free school lunch and you pay the minuimum on student loans because you are on food stamps, as well as the other good free stuff. Everyone thinks you are dirt poor and in reality you are doing just as good as everyone else or better, oh ya---and you have like 10s of thousands saved from the tax refund you lost at the casino!! And no debt except student loans because you live on your crappy budget.
    Anonymous

• its not fair it is how you play the game!!
    Anonymous