How did cafemoms go about teaching their kids how to ride their bike?

Im so nervous!! Idonot want my daughter to get hurt :(

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:45 PM on May. 24, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I just let him keep going on it until he figured it out. He was 6.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:50 PM on May. 24, 2010

• We took ours to the park and let them ride on the baseball field because it was nice and flat ( mostly) and when they fell, they wouldn't get scraped up. Our neighborhood is hilly. We just put helmets on them, put them on the bikes and let them go. That's the best way for them to learn, just have them get on there and ride. They've been riding without training wheels since they were 4 and 6.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 1:50 PM on May. 24, 2010

• my daughter learned right after her 5th birthday. she was a pro with her training wheels, so one day i got my dad to take them off, she went on the grass for a few minutes, then we headed to the driveway and within 2 minutes she had the hang of it. i think the longer you wait, the harder it will be for them to do it. as for the actual teahing part of it,i just held the back of my daughters seat, more or less pushing her, and then i just let her go..and she was fine..good luck!!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 2:18 PM on May. 24, 2010

• This is going to sound scarry brutal but my son learnt on a grassy path going down a little hill. The grass seems to be easier to learn to ride and the hill was a great idea because he didn't really have to worry about peddling just keeping his balance. He was alomst 5 when he learnt. DD will be loosing her training wheels this summer when we go camping at the same spot. She's 4.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 3:25 PM on May. 24, 2010

• I called my friend margie

Answer by rkoloms at 3:28 PM on May. 24, 2010

• My neighbor and i took our 5 yr old DDs to a really big park with a huge bike trail and we help them balance. They had on knee and elbow pads along with their helmet. They fell a couple of times but they end up learning by the end of the day. My 4 yr old DS learned by himself. I took him to the park to teach him and I stopped to talk to this lady and he just took off on his own so he's been riding since. Just pad her up and go. If it's a small bike she is on then she wont have a long way to fall if she does fall. I think most of the time it's the parents that are scared more than the child is. LOL! Good luck
    JayRo00

Answer by JayRo00 at 3:29 PM on May. 24, 2010

• We got her a "strider bike" (balance bike)... She learned how to balance from riding it very quickly (3.5yrs old)
    About 1 mo. after getting her strider bike we got her a regular bike & took off the training wheels automatically.. Within about 15min of helping her she can go a good distance by herself..

Im sure by now she would be on her big bike no problem, but we have only taken her out that one time to practice. She loves her strider bike soo much! Alot of kids will like their strider even after they have mastered a regular bike.

(striderbike.com) you can also look up strider bikes on youtube too see how great they work.
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 4:18 PM on May. 24, 2010

• We just recently purchased my son's first bike with training wheels. He is 5 years old and was very excited about the "big boy" bike......until he fell off a few times. He wears a helmet, elbow pads and knee pads; but is still "afraid". He just declines our offers to teach him- to help him practice. I'm being very patient, (and as another Cafe Mom said - "holding the seat while he pedals"), but I think he still feels nervous. I keep reminding him that every new skill requires a lot of practice; but he still says he just wants to sit on the bike in the house only. Any suggestions from other Cafe Moms for reducing his "fear" - without calling attention to him being scared?
    Bostonsbest

Answer by Bostonsbest at 7:30 PM on May. 24, 2010

• thank you cafemoms. not sure why i marked this question anonymous.... LOL!
    rosesrred1

Answer by rosesrred1 at 9:00 PM on May. 24, 2010

• we just held the back of the seat then let go I ahave a friend that has a 10yr old dd and she still cant ride a 2 wheeler and I think that is just crazy
    heidim229

Answer by heidim229 at 7:33 AM on May. 25, 2010