Does anyone know of the gender role/anthropological term for this: My 2.5 son listens to his 3 year old girlfriend more than he listens to us.

I'm sure there's a study or term out there that I can refer to. My son will throw a fit if we tell him something, but when his best friend (who is a girl) comes around, he will do whatever she says and give her whatever she wants.

I would love to hear the humorous responses as well but I'm interested to see if there are serious responses too. It's just hilarious to see this is what I have to look forward to. Actually... I now know how to get him to do things... use the girl to influence him.

lynnard

Asked by lynnard at 1:58 PM on May. 24, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My daughter is like this with her Grandmother. So i 'call' her grandma and then tell her Grandma said to, for example, "Pick up all your toys and give mommy a kiss" lol works like a charm :)
    smilelovesmile

Answer by smilelovesmile at 2:01 PM on May. 24, 2010

• your son has a girl friend?
    Preggydyke

Answer by Preggydyke at 2:05 PM on May. 24, 2010

• My son finds his "girlfriend" (really just a girl who he thinks is really cool) advice much more important that mine! I think it's something all kids do. Aren't 12 year olds more apt to listen to their buddies instead of their parents? They find their equivalent's approval a high priority.

My son is 2 1/2 years old as well. The other girl is 3.
    mickstinator

Answer by mickstinator at 3:03 PM on May. 24, 2010

• A very frequent occurance. My son listens better to anyone who isn't his parents.. LOL.. A friend told me a story of a little boy in her daughter's preschool class (3 and 4 yr olds). He was a challenge for the teach to get to sit quietly (he had minor disabilities). One day he threw a fit and wanted to sit next to my friend's daughter. Her daughter calmly turned to the little boy and told him that he could sit next to her as long as he was quiet. He promptly sat down and didn't utter another peep... Problem solved!
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 7:00 PM on May. 24, 2010