Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

has anyone had there baby at 35-36 weeks?

if so was the baby ok and did you get to go home after 2 days?

Answer Question
 
amylynn4919

Asked by amylynn4919 at 2:26 PM on May. 24, 2010 in Pregnancy

Level 4 (35 Credits)
Answers (13)
  • I did. I had my daughter at 36 weeks, and luckily she was perfectly healthy and we were out of the hospital in the normal amount of time. She was small and they were worried about her lung function, but she's a strong little booger!
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:27 PM on May. 24, 2010

  • At 35 weeks there is about a 5% chance that a baby born vaginally will develop respiratory distress syndrome (higher for C-section babies). That's a 95% chance they will be completely fine. After 35 weeks that risk drops further and further.

    Moms usually do great and go home after two days like normal. Sometimes, if baby has RDS they will stay in the hospital for a little longer, but that's pretty unusual.
    Ati_13

    Answer by Ati_13 at 2:30 PM on May. 24, 2010

  • I had my last baby the day I turned 37 weeks. She was 6lbs10oz and we went home 2 days later so things were fine there. I am currently 35.5 weeks and get a little worried too when I have strong BH because like you I'm a little worried that 35 or 36 weeks is a tad too early.
    keisha613

    Answer by keisha613 at 2:30 PM on May. 24, 2010

  • 35 or 36 weeks? I would LOVE to deliver my baby that late...I had mine at 28...
    nsrush83

    Answer by nsrush83 at 2:37 PM on May. 24, 2010

  • My first was in the 35 week and the second in the 36 week. They are both fine. They are actually huge LOL my husband is a foot taller than me. With both pregnancies I had to be induced due to dangerously low amneotic fluid...there was just no more room left in there for either one of them. Neither had any problems. I was in the hospital for 2 days and off to home I went. That was the easy part!!!
    MissHeidi0304

    Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 2:38 PM on May. 24, 2010

  • I had my baby at 36wks they gave me steroids for her lungs to mature I had to be induced because of low fluid she was 5lbs 9 oz I had her Friday morning and was able to leave with her sat. afternoon
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:42 PM on May. 24, 2010

  • I had my son at approximately 35 weeks. He was not 100% ok he was in the NICU for a week, but I was released after 2 days. He had to be on oxygen for a number of days, registered in apnea a number of times, lost far more weight then he should have (born at 6lbs 3½ oz was under 5lbs by the time we had been home for a few days). He had an unknown infection and had to have an IV placed in his head (it was awful) and he was pretty severely jaundiced which is common in preemies, so he had to lounge under lights the entire time he was in the NICU. He's 3½ now and absolutely fine though so rough beginnings doesn't guarantee tough lives either though. :o)

    BUT I do know of people who have delivered just a little later than I did and went home after 2 days with absolutely no complications. 36 -37 weeks is better than 35weeks but it's not a guarantee for negative results either/
    kfroz0415

    Answer by kfroz0415 at 2:42 PM on May. 24, 2010

  • It all depends. No one can say for sure that at 35-36 weeks everything will be ok. The lungs could be underdeveloped or they could be fine. I had my son at 36 weeks, he was 7-5 and lungs were developed normally. I have a friend who had her son at 35 weeks and he was in the hospital for 2 weeks to get his lungs to work properly. It depends and no one can say for sure. There are women who go full term who have to stay for more than 2 days due to infections or other problems. There is no guarantee with a newborn what will happen.
    carmadsmom

    Answer by carmadsmom at 3:07 PM on May. 24, 2010

  • My son was born at 36 weeks. He was tiny (5.5 lbs) but perfect. He was born Friday night and we went home Sunday morning.

    maxswolfsuit

    Answer by maxswolfsuit at 3:16 PM on May. 24, 2010

  • My daughter was born at 35 weeks and she ended up staying an extra week in the hospital due to respiratory issues. Her lungs were not quite ready yet when I went into preterm labor with her that they could not stop. The doctor gave me steroids to try to help her lungs, but she still ended up having trouble breathing on her own after birth.
    Lilmommy2six

    Answer by Lilmommy2six at 4:21 PM on May. 24, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN