Husband...

I feel that my Husband is in constant competition with me. Sometimes he will disagree with me just for the sake of playing "devil's advacate" or he will have a very judgemental attitude towards me just because we don't always have the same likes and dislikes. It's to the point where because of this, it has killed emotional as well as physical intimacy. When it comes to the big picture trival things like he enjoying computer games and war movies would never cause me to put distance between us just because I don't like some of his interests. He makes me feel like I'm a project and not a person @ times. And because I don't react or think or see things the way he does, I'm a disappointment. What are your thoughts or opinions on this?

It's not healthy being in a relationship where u feel u must either walk on eggshells for the other person. there is no security in not being able to be urself.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:32 PM on May. 24, 2010 in Relationships

• My ex always had an attitude b/c he went to college that he was superior to me. Funny thing is, he ended up working at the same job as me, doing the same exact thing as me and for the same amount of pay as me...lol. So much for that college diploma gathering dust. He was a history major and he had this thing about that game show, " Jeapordy", he could get every answer right. Who cared anyway! I used to tell him, go on the damn show and make us a pile of money instead of sitting on the couch acting all smart about it. I came to the conclusion that I had the common sense and he had the smarts. I still feel that way 7 yrs later. I have managed to raise two kids on my own with my non degree job. Tell him to go mow the lawn or something...:)
    Anonymous

• OMG! My husband is a college grad as well and a history buff.. Weird.. I think that's what it is, he feels superior to me. He would never admit it. I have even asked him is this the case. But I know it to be true. Right after our son was born One of my poems was published. He acted as though it killed him to congradulate me or say that he was proud of me. My writing is very personal to me and I never let anyone read it. So the fact that I entered a contest just on a whim and they loved it so much they wanted to publish it was a really big deal. I thought, he being a writer would appreciate and understand this. The fact that he does not know when to censure things.. (meaning he does not know how to keep things between us and tells everyone including his parents everything) sometimes he chooses to just flat out leave me out of it. I found it quite surprising that they had no clue that I had a poem published. Why is he this way?
    Anonymous

• I agree...I felt like I had to walk on eggshells (exactly the phrase I would use to my support system too) around my STBX husband and I eventually felt like I couldn't really be myself when I was with him. It was obvious to friend and family that I was happier when he wasn't with me. Do what's right for YOU. Best wishes.
    rio_burb

Answer by rio_burb at 7:48 PM on May. 24, 2010