stripping membranes?!?!?!?!

ok I dunno what to do my doc called me this morning and said I need to come in for a check up my contractions are 3-4 minutes apart and they sent me homw from the hospital because Im only 3cm dilated! My doctor said to think about stripping and let him know when I get there what should I do? Does it hurt?

lovemynutterbut

Asked by lovemynutterbut at 2:33 PM on May. 24, 2010 in Pregnancy

• toward the end of my pregnancy I had my membranes stripped several times and no luck with baby coming any sooner, for me it didn't hurt but it was extremely uncomfortable, I did have minor bloody discharge after. I am a true believer after my own experience with my last pregnancy that baby will come when he/she is ready and your body will let you know, but I've also read from the experience of other moms here that stripping the membranes did work.
    LuvmyFam6

Answer by LuvmyFam6 at 2:41 PM on May. 24, 2010

• I had my membranes stripped twice with my daughter and it definately hurt for me. It does for a lot of women. It also increases risk of premature rupture of membranes (which means your water breaking before labor begins) and infection. If those risks are worth MAYBE havign your baby a little sooner, then go for it. If not, then don't.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 2:43 PM on May. 24, 2010

• It's more risk than I have wanted to do with my pregnancies.

How long have the contractions been that far apart?
    How long does each last?
    Are you wanting a natural-medicated-surgical birth?

I think choices for interventions have to do you your preferences~
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:56 PM on May. 24, 2010

• I thought it hurt pretty bad! I had my membranes stripped a couple times with my previous two pregnancies. NOTHING happened! I don't think I will do it this time!
    MandyP27

Answer by MandyP27 at 3:13 PM on May. 24, 2010

• it didnt hurt for me, and it didnt work for me either. since you are already having contractions 3 min apart and are at 3cm, i would do it. i was at 3 cm when they did it for me, but i wasnt having contractions that were timable. good luck w everything!
    erika_wright

Answer by erika_wright at 3:13 PM on May. 24, 2010

• For me, it hurt WAY more than delivery

Answer by rkoloms at 3:25 PM on May. 24, 2010

• My dr stripped mine at 38 weeks, it didn't hurt that bad for me but after I had pretty bad cramping. I was 3+cm dilated and 90% effaced. she stripped them at 2pm and my water broke and 3am the next morning and baby was born by noon. I think it depends on how ready your body is tho.
    staciaw

Answer by staciaw at 3:43 PM on May. 24, 2010

• I had mine stripped with my first pregnancy and it hurt really bad, but it did send me into labor within a couple of hours of having it done. For some women it hurts and it works, and others it doesn't hurt as bad and it doesn't make a difference. I think the baby will come when the baby is ready. GL!
    Anonymous

• Thank you guys for the advice I did have it done just because the contractions have been timable since friday night and I am 90% effaced and 3 cm dialted the doctor it could be an hour or four days I just really don't want to be induced on the 1st at 5:30 am Im good I hate early mornings! lol
    lovemynutterbut

Answer by lovemynutterbut at 6:54 PM on May. 24, 2010

• Sounds like you are happy with your choice~ great!
    :-)

You never *have* to consent to anything~~ you may choose anything-everything, no one will force you into induction.
    If you are concerned about anything, be sure to ask for thorough explanations on the risks & benefits, pros & cons.
    No need to add unnecessary risks to a healthy pregnancy.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 7:30 PM on May. 24, 2010