Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What would you do if you find out that your sister in law was doing drugs in front of your neice?

My husbands sister has had her daughter removed from her care 4 different times. 2 for DUI's with the child in the care and 2 for getting arrested for drugs. Well she's been clean for about 1 1/2 years now. But recently, my neice has stayed with us ALOT and that only happens when her mom is doing something she shouldn't be doing. Well, I don't want to call CPS on her because I know how devastated this little girl would be living without her mom and she could definately live with us but I just want to help my sister in law without confronting her and making things worse where I might not be able to keep my neice anymore. What would you do? How would you bring it up??

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 2:39 PM on May. 24, 2010 in Relationships

Answers (7)
  • You can't help someone who doesn't want help. She's had 2 DUI WITH the child IN THE CAR and 2 arrest for drugs. She is NOT interested in your help, just getting her next high. The best thing you could do is to have your neice removed before something worse happens.

    Answer by Jademom07 at 2:41 PM on May. 24, 2010

  • I'd crap a brick and beat her in the face with it.

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:41 PM on May. 24, 2010

  • So you would rather have her living with a mom who obviously can't stay clean and puts her at risk so she can do drugs?
    If she pawns her off on you then she can't be so interested in being a mom, just getting that high. She has to want to get better, if losing her daughter didn't do it before then she is just not interested in getting better. Maybe she hasn't hit her bottom or she just doesn't care. Youhave to turn her in for the childs sake. I'd try and get gaurdianship until her mom got he crap together. At least the child knows and loves you. It's not like sending her to a stranger.

    Answer by itsmesteph11 at 2:59 PM on May. 24, 2010

  • I think you should talk to your husband about it, and since it is his sister he (or maybe another member of their family) should talk to her about her problem and tell her she HAS to seek help. If she refuses to see she has a problem or refuses to seek help then you should turn her in.

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:09 PM on May. 24, 2010

  • call 911

    Answer by rkoloms at 3:17 PM on May. 24, 2010

  • I wouldn't turn her in, if it meant the risk of losing my niece. I would first approach the situation by gathering information on how CPS handles such cases and if the child could come and live with us first. After which I would sit my husband down and have a long talk with him and then have a talk with my sister in law to get the child.

    Answer by mom2mybabes at 4:04 PM on May. 24, 2010

  • Wouldnt you be able to take her in if you called CPS, I thought they generally looked at family members to be there for them. You have to call. I recently read on a blog of my cousins, how she remembers being so high off of second hand smoke (from pot, and others) when she was like 5 or 6 that she truelly thought she was flying. This was the sadest stament in the world to me, and how people let that go on I will never know. And trust me the things she saw, and the things she went through have turned her into the very unhappy, unstable, and really not so great kid that she is now. So for your neices sake do what is best for her, even if it is not the easiest thing. She might not understand it now, but she deserves better, and you are an adult and you need to do it for her.

    Answer by Anonymous at 5:28 PM on May. 24, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.