Could you recommend an appropriate "classic" for my 13 year old daughter to read over the summer?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:41 PM on May. 24, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• We read Lord of the Flies somewhere around there. And The Outsiders....one of my favorites. Read it during a winter snow storm and finished it in 2 days. The Lion, Witch and Wardrobe series is another great one. I'm an adult and read them, they are in elem school libraries.
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 3:45 PM on May. 24, 2010

• The Count of Monte Cristo. Anything by Jane Austin too!
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 3:47 PM on May. 24, 2010

• little women
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 3:52 PM on May. 24, 2010

• She loves Jane Austen! She just got done reading Emma. Thanks for the recommendations.
    Anonymous

• And..... Tuck Everlasing. I also looked at my bookshelves just now and saw Go Ask Alice, author anonymous. As well as If You Come Softly by Jacqueline Woodson (it's printed by Scholastic and an ALA Best Book for Young Adults. It is about prejudices and love....absolutely amazing!! The author has recieved awards for her middle school and young adult books. Check her out too.
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 4:02 PM on May. 24, 2010

• The Hobbit

Answer by rkoloms at 4:10 PM on May. 24, 2010

• Lord Of The Flies, The Great Gatsby, and To Kill A Mockingbird
    ArmyWifeAshlie

Answer by ArmyWifeAshlie at 4:32 PM on May. 24, 2010

• "Sarah, Plain and Tall", "Dog Song", "Dicey's Song", "The Fledgling", "Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry", "A Wrinkle in Time" (Oh, that was my FAVORITE!), "To Kill a Mockingbird"

Ah, when I was that age, I would read all day, every day, instead of cleaning my room.

Also, "Are you There, God, It's Me, Margaret."

Fawn80

Answer by Fawn80 at 4:32 PM on May. 24, 2010

• I was just going to say Jane Austen. There is a website call "The Republic of Pemberly" that holds teen friendly book discussion.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 5:04 PM on May. 24, 2010

• Little Women
    Anonymous