What helps improve eczema?

I have a son who is not quite two, and he has eczema. I've been battling a spot behind his knee since he was a newborn. The only thing that makes it go away for a while (now that he is old enough) is cortisone cream, just a very light layer.

Can anyone recommend any skin products that work really well? I have eczema, too, but I am old enough to try to just live with it. I don't want him to experience the intense discomfort if I can help him. Thanks!

Iamgr8teful

Asked by Iamgr8teful at 3:50 PM on May. 24, 2010 in Kids' Health

• Aquafor is a petrochemical; stay away. Most eczema creams actually contain harmful ingredients that will only further irritate the condition. Many prescription creams are actually known to cause cancer (i.e. Elidel). Trust me, it took me 10 years of research and personal experience re: my own child to figure it all out. Evening primrose oil or coconut oil work extremely well as a topical cure. Zinc cream works well also; zinc is wonderful for the skin. Try also treating from the inside out: have your child eat plenty of yogurt or take probiotics (lots of "good" bacteria is needed for a healthy immune system). Also, get rid of all products that will aggravate the condition; ie soaps/creams/shampoos that contain artifical ingredients and chemicals. Buy safe products with few ingredients and make sure those ingredients are natural (no petrochemicals, parabens, fragrances, etc.). My DD has been symptom free for years.
    Anonymous

• Aquaphor works wonders!!!

Answer by tyfry7496 at 3:51 PM on May. 24, 2010

• Both my sons have it. I too tried all kinds of things. What I recently found was Premium Triple Cream, from the makers of Triple Paste (for diaper rash). It's at Walmart. We used the diaper rash cream behind my older babies knees and on his feet. Then they came out with this. It's pricey but it has seemed to work wonders. With my youngest baby I put it on in the mornings. I found putting anything on his skin on nights he takes a bath just irritates his already sensitive skin. He screamed like it was burning him. It is hard when they are that young. You can't just rub anything on them!!
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 3:54 PM on May. 24, 2010

• My dd has had that since a baby. I was told to you use soap like ivory and not use any lotions with perfume or dyes in them. Also, the peditrician prescribed to cremes when some spots get REALLY bad. I'm at work but I'll look the names of them up when I get home. They also, told me to be careful about laundry detergents....that they can sometimes cause it to flare up so we use ALL free and clear.
    Anonymous

• I have tried TONS of stuff, including aquaphor and I have found nothing that can work as well as California Baby Calendula Cream. It is far better than anything I have used. Within 0 minutes of putting it on my DD's eczema (back of knees and inside elbows are her worst spots) it starts going away. It works better than the cortizone cream. I also use California Baby Super Sensitive Baby wash for her. We are able to keep her eczema under control pretty well through food eliminations and she is also allergic to polyester.
    SoniaL

Answer by SoniaL at 4:04 PM on May. 24, 2010

• No dairy
    keep baths short, infrequent and cool
    put coconut oil on the afflicted areas

Answer by rkoloms at 4:11 PM on May. 24, 2010

• I think my email will explain it all. Hope to talk to you soon.
    Pelucha

Answer by Pelucha at 4:25 PM on May. 24, 2010

• Have you heard of Halo Technical Comfort clothing? It's designed to help with eczema by wicking away moisture and reducing itching and irritation. You can get more info at: www.halosleep.com
    smittendorff

Answer by smittendorff at 5:06 PM on May. 24, 2010

• fish oil
    elias1mamma22

Answer by elias1mamma22 at 2:12 PM on May. 29, 2010