Would you keep your kid home from school?

My husband has to catch a super early flight that means getting all my kids out of bed at 3am to take him. My oldest has school that day.

Would you keep your child home to catch up on sleep and have them get a demerit and ruin perfect attendace for the school year or send them to school anyways?

PandTsmomjuly

Asked by PandTsmomjuly at 3:53 PM on May. 24, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Do you have a neighbor that could watch her for that amount of time? If not I would say to slip her outta bed put her in the car with a pillow and blanket and see if she goes back to sleep in the car she probably will. Then if she doesnt send her into school anyway and if she gets too tired then she can always come home. If she worked that hard to get her award it wouldn't be fair for her to lose the award for this reason and might discourage her from trying next year to do the same. Put her to bed early the night before for sure.
    Anonymous

• I say send them anyway, then have an early supper and bed time.
    Anonymous

• what does your child want. I mean of course alot of kids want to stay home from school. But if they want perfect attendence than you should take him or her. I had perfect attendence for like 5 years straight. Even though my mom let the other kids stay home sometimes i always begged to go for my 'award' i would get for it. Plus when i hit highschool i never went. . . So i guess if they really want to go then send them. If they are okay with staying home and ruing perfect attendence than thats okay too.
    Anonymous

• how old is the child?
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 3:56 PM on May. 24, 2010

• Send them. A few hours missed sleep should be OK. But they'll probably want to go to bed earlier the next evening.

Answer by Bmat at 3:58 PM on May. 24, 2010

• She's six and in first grade. She hates missing school. She was very excited to get her perfect attendance award.
    PandTsmomjuly

Answer by PandTsmomjuly at 3:59 PM on May. 24, 2010

• it depends..once your child is up at 3, is he/she gonna be able to go back to bed for an hour or two once you drop your husband off?? will he/she be able to sleep in the car on the way to the airport?? what about just take your child to school at 10 or 11am?
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 3:59 PM on May. 24, 2010

• My questions are how old is the kid and what do they want to do? Is perfect attendance important to him/her?
    SoniaL

Answer by SoniaL at 3:59 PM on May. 24, 2010

• If the child has perfect attendance I wouldn't let him miss. The school year is almost over and he will survive the day. Just like the other poster suggested, have supper early and send them to bed early. He will be fine tomorrow.
    peace1234

Answer by peace1234 at 4:00 PM on May. 24, 2010

• I don't know if she will go back to sleep or not. And her school considers them absent after 10am.

As of right now, Phoenix wants to go to school. But I am afraid that she doesn't understand how she is going to feel. I don't want her to have a bad day and get in a lot of trouble at school from being so tired.
    PandTsmomjuly

Answer by PandTsmomjuly at 4:03 PM on May. 24, 2010