Nervous about getting tubes tied!

Hello,
I have decided to get my tubes tied after the birth of my daughter come this August, can anyone tell me what to expect. Will I still get my period and all that junk? Any tips? Will this effect me trying to breast feed? Oh I am soooo nervous! What about pain and healing? Do I get cut open and will there be stitches?

Liz30355

Asked by Liz30355 at 4:01 PM on May. 24, 2010 in Pregnancy

• It depends. If you have a C-section with your daughter they can just go in and do it right there. And yes you will still have your period and it won't affect breast feeding. Tying your tubes basically prevents an egg from being able to reach your uterus for fertilization. If you don't have a C-section then I'm not sure about the procedure. I believe they can do it with just the small one-two inch incisions and I'm sure there will be some tenderness.
    Anonymous

• Just be sure this is what you want to do. I have met so many women that regret having their tubes tied. There is also a syndrome associated with a tubal ligation. I know when I was considering having one done I changed my mind after I did my research.
    Anonymous

• I had a c-section and had my tubes tied at the same time. If you have a vaginal delivery then you should consult your ob/gyn and ask what the procedure involves, and what the healing time is. You will still get your period, it will not stop that. It will not prevent you from breastfeeding, although your stomach area might be sore and you might need to be careful of that.
    Anonymous

• You will still get your periods, yes. The only thing a tubal does is prevent the egg from coming down the fallopian tubes to where it can be fertilized. Everything else will remain the same. It will not affect breastfeeding or anything else. I found that my periods seem a bit heavier (although I've just discovered that the tampons I was using were really crappy, so they may not actually be heavier), and they last a bit longer, but nothing I can't deal with. It's a great relief to not have to worry about birth control, or to have to wonder if you're pregnant every time you're a little late. The only thing I recommend is to talk this over carefully with your doctor and your husband, and be sure you want to do it. Once it's done, depending on the method, it may not be reversible, and even if it is reversed, there's no promise you'd get pregnant. Good luck!
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 5:27 PM on May. 24, 2010

• Thanks all, I have four kids and am completely sure I am done. This will be a vaginal delivery. My periods are already hideously unbearable so maybe this isn't something I should do, even if there is a chance that this might increase the flow or length or god forbid the way I cramp. I had the IUD for about 5 years and my periods completely stopped after the first year, that was certainly nice.....hmmmm all things I need to consider I guess.
    Thanks again!!
    Liz30355

Answer by Liz30355 at 5:57 PM on May. 24, 2010

• Keep in mind, it may not increase your flow or length or any of that. It does happen to some women, but not all. Like I said, I just discovered that the tampons I was using are really crappy, and not absorbing for crap, switched brands and there's an amazing difference. So what I thought was heavy flow might in fact simply have been substandard protection. Again, talk to your dr and really get detailed with him/her, to find out as much as you can.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 6:04 PM on May. 24, 2010