Would you leave a 13 & 12 year old home alone overnight so that you and your husband can go out on a date?

I would like to take my husband to a hotel for one night. We will not be far from the kids and we will have a cell phone with us at all time. Also, the neighbor, whom I trust with all my heart, will be checking up on them.

Is this crazy?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:18 PM on May. 24, 2010 in General Parenting

• They are still very young, so I suppose that it depends on the maturity level of the children. If you feel that they can handle being left alone for a night, then have a talk with them. Better yet, let them stay with the neighbor who will be checking in on them.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 4:20 PM on May. 24, 2010

• Not crazy, just not smart. I have older teens and I dont leave them alone overnight. What if there is an emergency? We live in earthquake country so that is always in the back of my head. Plus, they dont drive, dont have money and cant get themselves around. How late is your neighbor going to stay up for? You dont know that either. Why not ask the neighbor to spend the night. I promise it will be a load off your mind so you can enjoy the evening in total peace.
    Anonymous

• i dont think its crazy but they dont have friends houses that they could sleep over at for the night?
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 4:23 PM on May. 24, 2010

• I think its okay, especially with the neighbors checking up on them.
    smilelovesmile

Answer by smilelovesmile at 4:24 PM on May. 24, 2010

• too young for our kids
    not responsible, not even close
    but ours 13 (almost 14 yr old boy) and 10 yr old girl
    they fight will we leave the room
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 4:24 PM on May. 24, 2010

• There would be NO way I would let kids that age stay overnight by themselves. Have that neighbor you trust so much take them overnight. Ask a grandparent or another relative take the kids overnight. There is too much that can happen to 2 KIDS that age being home alone overnight.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 4:25 PM on May. 24, 2010

• I'm not sure I would leave them alone overnight. I babysat at 13 but that wasn't overnight. It was until the wee hours of the morning, at neighbors a mile or 2 down the road from my parents....but overnight? Hmm....remembering what my bro and I did at that age would have pissed my parents off. And that's for what we didn't get caught doing. Anyways, depends on your kids I guess.
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 4:25 PM on May. 24, 2010

• When I was in 5th grade my parents would let a friend stay over (i had older friends) & they would go out.. They would be back in 2-3am.. But we where alone for most of the night..
    It all depends on your kids.
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 4:27 PM on May. 24, 2010

• I would have to strongly consider their track record, are they generally good, trustworthy kids? Remember the saying "while the cats away the mice will play" came from somewhere. 12 and 13 year olds aren't what they used to be.....lol, wow, I sound old.
    Liz30355

Answer by Liz30355 at 4:28 PM on May. 24, 2010

• Not a chance

Answer by rkoloms at 4:33 PM on May. 24, 2010