cats and being prego?

well i have an cat i love him alot i dont want to get rid of him, iam 14 weeks prego and i heard when you are preg you cant have cats is this true? please tell me what i can do. what things can i do to be safe?

tandie1977

Asked by tandie1977 at 5:00 PM on May. 24, 2010 in Pregnancy

• The big concern with cats is in the litter. They can carry bacteria and germs from thier litter box on thier paws and it can make you and the baby sick. I have always had a cat while pregnant. When I'm pregnant I don't change the litter box at all...the SO takes over the job. Keep cats off your counter tops and other furniture. Make sure to clean thier paws. A lot of people keep cats while pregnant.
    Another concern is AFTER the baby is born...some cats like to jump in th ecrib with the baby and they tend to want to snuggle up on their face, so watch for that too.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 5:07 PM on May. 24, 2010

• It's not the cat itself that is worrisome. It's the feces. If you have someone else that can clean the litter box, you're good.
    Anonymous

• I had 2 cats while i was pregnant and one had 3 kittens. My sdoctor said it was perfectly safe as long as i dont handle the litter box. The thing it can cause is called toxoplasmosis. I bet if you google that you will get all the answers you need :) Good luck!!!
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 5:45 PM on May. 24, 2010

• I cleaned the litter box when I was pregnant but I made sure that I wore gloves and a mask and washed really well afterwards. I didn't have anyone to clean it for me.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 5:55 PM on May. 24, 2010

• thank all of yall
    tandie1977

Answer by tandie1977 at 7:35 PM on May. 24, 2010

• The concern is the litter as some of the PP's have said. However if you've had cats growing up, or even in your adult years (6-9 months before pregnancy), chances are you've probably had toxoplasmosis exposure and might be immune. With my first DD, is was routine to check toxo immunity, and I found I was immune, so i've never stopped litter box duty while pregnant. Check with your OB, they might still do this test in your first routine blood draw. If not, you can always ask for it :)
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 8:52 PM on May. 24, 2010

• thank you and i will ask my ob i go this friday
    tandie1977

Answer by tandie1977 at 10:37 AM on May. 25, 2010