My son who will be 3 in August screams like I'm killing him when I try & cut his toenails

I had him sit on the kitchen counter until he gave in which he didn't I was very sweet, patient but he was screaming really bad so I just said i'll try another day, I didn't want to give in but he looked petrified any advice????? ( I tried for 2 hours to cut them )

sissaymay

Asked by sissaymay at 5:35 PM on May. 24, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Lol, good luck. I have to physically sit on my three-year-old to cute his nails or brush his hair and teeth.
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 5:37 PM on May. 24, 2010

• My oldest used to do that. He was terrified of getting his toenails cut. I cut them in his sleep or else I would have had to hold him down. I have no idea why it freaked him out so much, but by the time he was about 4, he was fine with it.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 5:37 PM on May. 24, 2010

• My son is 2 and screams bloody hell when I'm cutting his hair, he's a little angel when I clip his toe nails though. I guess all we can do is just wait and see if they grow out of that phase. LOL!
    BrandyBaby22

Answer by BrandyBaby22 at 5:40 PM on May. 24, 2010

• we have to hold down our 3 yr old (scream, kick, spit, bite etc etc)
    or
    cut them when she is sleeping

have tried...after bath when soft-...no
    watch mommy do hers...no, she freaked and tried to put them back on my fingers
    play pretend cut with the dolls....no
    after using scissors "cut, cut cut fun fun fun" then, go into nails....no

i will bewatching this one, but we just do when she is asleep
    our daughter has SPD issues with her autism, so have to select which battles to try to win and which ones to let go

if her hair is clean, but will not have hair bands in or clips, then it is in her face

fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 5:41 PM on May. 24, 2010

• My 5 year old turns 6 in two weeks and he STILL screams at the thought of getting his toe nails cut, he only lets Poppy (grandpa) cut them
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 5:42 PM on May. 24, 2010

• my son hates it too - even as an infant he hated us even touching his feet - let alone cutting his nails..!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:43 PM on May. 24, 2010

• I wait until my Son is Fast Asleep at Nap time and cut his fingernails & toenails then. He sleeps right through it. He's 3 1/2 & that's how I always did it.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 6:10 PM on May. 24, 2010

• Try doing it at different times of the day. We've found that morning is better. Our son (just turned 3) also seems to prefer my husband do it. However, we often have to hold him down to get them cut. Haircuts and fingernails aren't much better.. If you haven't tried an emery board or nail file, try that.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 6:56 PM on May. 24, 2010

• My 8.5 & 7 yo are just as bad - it takes 2 of us (would take more but there is no one else to help!) and they insist on having their blankie, and they kick and fight and yell and scream and it sucks. Fingernails are bad too! My almost 5 & 3yo aren't near as bad.
    Anonymous

• I give my son a set of clippers and let him try to cut mine (or a nail file). It makes him much more amenable to doing his.
    lifetimelove

Answer by lifetimelove at 2:44 AM on May. 25, 2010