Do your parents treat you the same as your siblings?

Do they treat you equal, better or worse. Unfortunately, my parents treat me differently. I have always been second to my sister even though I was the oldest. She always talks about my sister's kids and how she babysits them so she can have a date night. She has spent tons of money on her when I haven't even asked to borrow money and if I did even a small amount they would expect me to pay it back.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:57 PM on May. 24, 2010 in Relationships

• I have the same problem with my parents. I am also the oldest of 3 girls! (maybe being the oldest has something to do with it!) But my mother takes my sisters out to dinner all the time and takes them shopping and helps both of them out with ANYTHING they need. I am the only daughter who has a child, and I am struggling all the time and my mother couldnt care less! lol. I've never understood it.
    Sherrae

Answer by Sherrae at 6:03 PM on May. 24, 2010

• My dad favors me a bit because my sister only calls him when she wants to borrow money. She is super irresponsible and it makes him (and me!) crazy. Plus I only live 1 mile from my dad and we have more in common. My dad is a Christian and so am I. My sister and mom are not. My sister is closer to my mom (who also is loaded with drama like my sister). I think my mom favors my sister though I think she favored me when we were kids.
    SoniaL

Answer by SoniaL at 6:13 PM on May. 24, 2010

• I'm the baby so I was always treated differently. My sister is mature and thinks things through before acting. I'm more impulsive

Answer by admckenzie at 6:53 PM on May. 24, 2010

• Worse! i am paving the road for my sister, still
    Ericha7

Answer by Ericha7 at 7:21 PM on May. 24, 2010

• no absolutely not. my sister was always the troublemaker and apparently that wasn't a big deal. she can do no wrong as far as i can tell. there are pics of her and her family everywhere. my stepbrother was also a hell raiser and i wanted to puke when he got married - they live far away and mom would talk about my sister in law like they were the best of friends - another one who could do no wrong and again pics of their family all over. my younger brother is a great oddball - only recently has he been somewhat ignored (because he ignores the family). there is like one pic of me and one of my daughter (none of my husband) in my mom's house. we've always been more distant since i was a child - i don't know why. i was the good quiet kid. i thought maybe it was in my head until my daughter picked up on the difference in treatment which she also gets at a very early age. i have no idea...
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 7:37 PM on May. 24, 2010

• They've always treated us 4 girls the same. Of course you deal with people differently due to chemistry and personalities (sometimes they are harmonious and sometimes they clash) but we were always dealt with fairly and can tell we were loved equally.
    rio_burb

Answer by rio_burb at 7:39 PM on May. 24, 2010

• yes im treated differently then my brothers im the oldest. i was expected to make sure that the boys had things they needed and that i took care of the house. my mother didnt work after she had my youngest brother. when i started dating my now hubby my father had the nerve to tell me i needed to marry a white guy have his babies then do what i wanted to do with my life. when i told them we were getting married (after dating for 6 yrs) they werent happy. then in oct 06 i told them i was pregnant they told me oh no we dont want you to have the baby. then march 07 when i had son they werent happy. then in april 08 they werent happy when i said i was expecting again. so now that my dear brother is having a baby both parents are so happy beacause she is white while my hubby is hispanic.
    knagsmom

Answer by knagsmom at 8:38 PM on May. 24, 2010

• as kids they did their best to treat us equally. now that we are older, no. my little brother is special needs, so he requires different treatment. my oldest sister is self-centered and irresponsible to say the least, so they are still baby-sitting her and her child to some degree. the rest of us are responsible and self-sufficient, and we are treated as the adults that we are. no one is better than the other, but we don't all require the same care and attention.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 8:55 PM on May. 24, 2010

• Not equally. The youngest is the favorite.
    Anonymous

• In our family there are no real "favorites"

My oldest sister is self aborbed and chooses a life outside the family
    My next older sister drew away for a while and now she is doing better and being a bigger part of family stuff
    Older brother removed himself from family
    Me-Most responsible though not the easiest to raise
    Younger sister-Recently went through a rebellious phase, wound up preggo, back on track and being good
    Yonger Brother- They're "suprise" baby who is obviously spoiled but loved by all. Will grow up to be quite the man.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 9:53 PM on May. 24, 2010