Are there any summer programs/activities/or anything else for special needs children, in the Central Arkansas area?

I have a 4yr old soon to be 5 who is currently attending a special needs school. His last day is May 31st and then he starts kindergarten this fall. He must have structure and routine or he becomes really angry. He is ODD, ADHD, and has learning disabilities and still needs physical therapy. I'm terrified all of his progress will regress this summer, being out of the school setting. We've all worked so hard to get him where he is now. Can anyone help with this major dilema???

Tabbycatgodess

Asked by Tabbycatgodess at 6:17 PM on May. 24, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I am too...my dd has aspergers. I am gonna enroll her in swim lessons, visit the library on their special days...a new ballet class and I am going to work with her on my own too.

I would look for things like this that he may be interested in. :) Maybe even a playgroup or something. Vacation Bible schools too :)
    Anonymous

• Doesn't your school system have an extended school year program? My son has minor developmental delays and will finish the school year June 21 then start the school's summer program for the month of July. He'll only be out of school for the month of August. Talk to your school system's Child Study Team. They should be able to help point you in the right direction. Otherwise, try using Google to find some help.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 7:10 PM on May. 24, 2010

• Check with your local city Parks and Recreation Department. Ours has a great weekly summer camp program for special needs children starting at age 3. We also have an Extended School Year program, but my son doesn't qualify because he doesn't show enough regression during the summer months to warrant it.

Answer by missanc at 8:38 AM on May. 25, 2010