You know better than that......?

Ok, my husband has been spending more time with DD and myself when he can, a I've noticed that when she starts getting into things (as babies will do) he tells her no the first time and pulls her away from whatever she's into, but the second time he tells her "you know better than that!" So here's my question, does anyone else think that an 11 month old baby "knows better" than to pull on things, put things in her mouth, etc. etc. or do you think, like I do, that they're still learning and in fact, do NOT know any better, at least not yet. Also, what is a good way to explain to him that she's not old enough to understand logic, so "you know better" "I already told you" and "what do you think you're doing", while it might make him feel like he's getting a point across, it's not actually getting through to a child who understands only "no" "Bath time" and "snack"

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:00 PM on May. 24, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• An 11 mo has limited language skills and there is no way the baby knows better. The words no and stop should be saved for very important things. If you have a few "rules" and always inforce those then there is a very good chance you will have a well behaved toddler that doesn't throw tantrums.

The average toddler is told no 400 times a day. I take care of my toddler grandson about 60 hours a week and I say no once or twice a week. My son is his othr primary care taker and he does the same. My grandson is strong willed but well behaved and no and stop always work. Here is a famous article about saying no.

http://www.webmd.com/parenting/features/say-no-without-saying-no

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:43 PM on May. 24, 2010

• My son is almost 11 months and there is no way in hell he knows better..lol..If he does he sure doesnt listen :P lol...
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 7:05 PM on May. 24, 2010

• I doubt at 11 months old she honestly understand what he is saying, but I used to say things like that to my DD, too. I used to tell her, "I already told you once." And now that she is almost two she completely understands that. I have talked to her like that from basically day one.
    Anonymous

• talkin gto her like that isn't harmful in any way, she still gets that daddy doesn't want her doing what she's doing (not that she's going to remember 10 minutes down the road). All discipline is at this point is laying groundwork for later.
    Anonymous

• No, she doesn't know better at 11 months, but it's not wrong of him to say that. There will come a day, not too long from now, when she DOES know better, and by then she will be familiar with the phrase LOL.
    BaisMom

Answer by BaisMom at 8:46 PM on May. 24, 2010

• i don't think she would understand him fully but its a good age to start teaching them the importance of no......she will slowly understand....i don't think there is anything wrong with that...i'd probably do the same as well....my little one is only 5months...though...so in a few months
    fay101

Answer by fay101 at 9:09 PM on May. 24, 2010

• Of course she doesn't know better. But it's not hurting anything for him to say that. As long as he's not actually EXPECTING her to know better. It's like my husband telling my at the time 12 month old time that his behavior was inappropriate. =)
    lifetimelove

Answer by lifetimelove at 10:45 PM on May. 24, 2010