if you have small pets do you make your kids change their clothes after holding them?

i'm just not sure if i should make my son change his shirt after washing his hands. I know guinea pigs can be potential cariers of certain diseases but does that mean i should be extra careful and pretty much take the fun out of even having one? I always make him wash his hands but i just wanted opinions on changing clothes afterwards..i say yeah, my dh says no unless it urinates on him or poops. What does everyone else do?

shay1130

Asked by shay1130 at 7:12 PM on May. 24, 2010 in Pets

• IMO if you're that paranoid about owning an animal that you make him go through an entire procedure of changing clothes, etc maybe you shouldn't be owning that animal. But that's just me.
    AngeLnChainZ

Answer by AngeLnChainZ at 7:23 PM on May. 24, 2010

• i don't. We just got it last night. I'm asking if i should
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 7:25 PM on May. 24, 2010

• i'm just not sure if this whole "disease" thing with them should be something i should freak out about. I mean, how would you be able to get it? I really don't know? could you get it just from holding it?
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 7:28 PM on May. 24, 2010

• The risk of any disease has to do with getting germs in your mouth, nose, or open wounds (cuts). That's why hand washing is every important especially after handling animals, playing outside, before and after meals, etc. I agree with your husband on this one. Changing a shirt isn't necessary, unless the animal had poop/pee on him. Just wash your hands after handling the animal.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 8:11 PM on May. 24, 2010

• We have issues with the guinea pig shedding....that is the only reason we might change.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:16 PM on May. 24, 2010

• No, we just have them wash their hands. We've had our piggies for a couple years and I think the odds of catching any kind of disease from them is very slim, considering the fact that the kids hug and kiss them and have all survived!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 2:27 PM on May. 25, 2010

• Only if the guinea pigs peed or pooped on them or excessively shed. We have 9 guinea pigs and have yet to acquire any piggy borne vectors. My daughter has asthma and they do not bother her. I do make them wash their hands after handling them though.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 2:28 PM on May. 25, 2010

• Just curious- what are you worried about them catching? Most illnesses are not cross-contagious between humans and guinea pigs, especially if you are keeping the cage clean and dry to help eliminate fungal infections like ringworm.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 2:29 PM on May. 25, 2010

• It's up to you I guess,on how much laundry you want to do.

cutebaby06

Answer by cutebaby06 at 5:20 PM on May. 25, 2010