Burping and feeding baby

My baby is now 10 days old and I still feel like I don't know what I'm doing. I'm starting to get stressed out. Someone, please tell me, how do you know if you have gotten all the burps out of your baby..I talked to a lacation specialist on the phone and she let me know it shouldn't take more then like 5-8 min to burp him. I tried it today, got a burp out, and my baby went down for like 10 min, and was up again, i firgured he might be since he hadn't feed on one of my breast ( i breast feed only) for like 5 min..it's just, I thought he was asleep since i had already tried everything to rouse him to feed again. I don't want to be up like i was the last 4 nights till 2 am because i can't get burps out..how many burps i'm i suppose to get out, once he has burped, should I see if he takes to the breast again? How long should he be feeding for? Help, i'm slowly losing it!

madamlinwe

Asked by madamlinwe at 7:13 PM on May. 24, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The fact that he was up and or fussy 10 minutes later may have nothing to do with burping. Let him nurse as long as he wants on one side, then burp him. Just try for a few minutes. Next offer him the other side. If he takes it, great, if not, great. Next time he shows signs of wanting to nurse offer the other breast first. It doesn't matter if it has been 10 minutes. it is not uncommon for a newborn to nurse several times in an hour. Just relax, and follow baby's lead. Don't look at the clock!
    Keep baby skin to skin on your chest as much as possible and encourage short frequent feeds. Hang in there, it will get a lot easier!
    Try to go to a La Leche League meeting in your area!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 8:58 PM on May. 24, 2010

• cont: i also worry that if i don't fix this soon i'll give my soon colic (i read somewhere that colic happens when babies get to much gas)
    madamlinwe

Answer by madamlinwe at 7:14 PM on May. 24, 2010

• OK, relax. You're doing FINE. Burping time is as long as it takes. You and clocks should have nothing to do with each other.

Nurse on side one till he comes off on his own. Burp ONCE, offer the other side. You may not get much of a burp if baby's latch is good.

"Colic" is a medical term for "we don't know why the baby is crying but we need a medical term." Gas is not colic, it's gas.

Answer by gdiamante at 8:11 PM on May. 24, 2010

• Oh. Please join us over at the breastfeeding moms group for more reassurance and tons of good info.

Answer by gdiamante at 8:12 PM on May. 24, 2010

• I agree with the previous posters!!! Don't look at the clock. It's okay, being a new mother can be very overwhelming. I remember those days. Someone gave me some very good advice, " Remember, the baby doesn't know that YOU don't know what you're doing." Babies only care about having a full belly and a clean bottom. Some babies don't burp as well as others, it has nothing to do with your mothering skills!! Also, it's not uncommon for babies to have their days and nights mixed up, this also has nothing to do with your mothering skills, and it has nothing to do with burping. That's normal for babies. It will get better. Sleep when the baby sleeps,housework and laundry can wait. If anyone offers to help with ANYTHING, take them up on it. Hang in there!! This too shall pass...
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 9:23 PM on May. 24, 2010

• Most breastfed babies don't burp. If they are breastfeeding right they don't swallow air. Bottlefed babies swallow air while they are feeding. You won't give your baby colic by not burping. The cause of colic is unknown.

"Colic is uncontrollable crying in a baby. It's not known what causes colic."

http://hcd2.bupa.co.uk/fact_sheets/html/infant_colic.html

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:36 PM on May. 24, 2010

• ur a new mommy now do this with me take a deep breath count to ten and relax...i was the same way as u when i had my son almost 8 yrs ago...i literally was on pins and needles...i was so scared when he was born bc reality hit me and i was like omg what was that.... is he spose to make that sound... ect...my sons ped. i could tell was getting fed up w me bc everytime he had an appt. it would be like 20 questions for the ped. its normal for ur baby not to burp everytime after a feeding its also normal for him to wake up ALOT.....hes not used to his surroundings yet...he will be soon enough...just take it easy u will do fine.
    lisa0821

Answer by lisa0821 at 11:46 PM on May. 24, 2010