How old should my daughter be to date?

She is only 1, but I want to know for the future.

JaneWilliams5

Asked by JaneWilliams5 at 7:17 PM on May. 24, 2010 in Relationships

• That is only something YOU can decide whatever you're comfortable on. But in my opinion you need to wait until she is older so you can judge based on her character and maturity level.
    AngeLnChainZ

Answer by AngeLnChainZ at 7:19 PM on May. 24, 2010

• LOL probably 15 depends on her maturity.
    Anonymous

• wow you're really planning ahead! it depends on the type and person of the date, your daughter, your experience in some years to come, etc. stay in the moment - your baby will be there before you know it - enjoy this time!
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 7:21 PM on May. 24, 2010

• according to my DH. .40 lol
    i would wait until you know her maturity level. All kids mature at different rates. . .& only you will know if she is mature & responsible enough.
    For me, it will be at least 16. . .i'm pretty old fashion though :)
    ColtsFan1912

Answer by ColtsFan1912 at 7:21 PM on May. 24, 2010

• thank you guys. I will use your advice. Thanks again :)
    JaneWilliams5

Answer by JaneWilliams5 at 7:21 PM on May. 24, 2010

• "For me, it will be at least 16. . .i'm pretty old fashion though :"
    I must be REALLY old fashioned then. Our daughters are 13, 5, 3 & 1 so we are only dealing with this with 1 of them now. But we do not allow dating period. Not at 13, 15, 16, 17..... We do not feel teens should date. Dating should be about finding your spouse. You are not ready to find your spouse in middle or high school. Dating relationships are often complicated and filled with Drama. The teen years have enough drama, conflict and confusion w/o dating adding to it. Teens should be spending their middle & high school years focusing on their studies and building meaningful friendships with guys & girls. They need to figure out WHO they are before dating. And all of the ups and downs of teen dating carry with you as you search out a life partner. You feel like you have already failed so many times over since all of these "relationships" failed.
    SoniaL

Answer by SoniaL at 7:32 PM on May. 24, 2010

• 18
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 7:36 PM on May. 24, 2010

I must be REALLY old fashioned then. Our daughters are 13, 5, 3 & 1 so we are only dealing with this with 1 of them now. But we do not allow dating period. Not at 13, 15, 16, 17..... We do not feel teens should date

**********************

I totally agree with you. There's NO need for teens to date.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 7:38 PM on May. 24, 2010

• lol you're likely to get a whole lot of different ideas. every child is different and we all have our own ideas about parenting. my mother felt it was more important for us to learn about relationships while we were still under her roof in order that she be able to guide us in making good decisions. there were other parts of life where i didn't learn to make decisions for myself until after i left and it was NOT good. i tend to agree that the teenage years are a transitional period where children learn to be independent in a secure environment where they have some close support they will need to make mistakes, as mistakes are often the best lessons. all the good advice in the world is not a substitute for experience. my daughter wasn't really interested in dating until she was about 17 although she had a long-term crush beginning at 14. you will be the best judge of what is right for your family, just as you are now.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 7:47 PM on May. 24, 2010

• When she's mature enough. Only you will know when that is but I wouldn't let her date before 16

Answer by admckenzie at 7:58 PM on May. 24, 2010