Have you heard of the latest party craze for teen girls?

I work in a high school and just recently heard that the newest thing for teen girls who want to get drunk is to soak a tampon in vodka and insert it. The alcohol gets into the bloodstream, but they don't have "booze breath". I was floored (and a little grossed out) when I heard this. I mean who thinks to do this? Anyway, just a heads for moms of teen girls.

canadianmom1974

Asked by canadianmom1974 at 7:20 PM on May. 24, 2010 in General Parenting

• Just a little fyi, the only thing they're going to get from that is an infection. Your body isn't going to absorb enough of the alcohol to even give a slight buzz so anyone who thinks this is possible is a lunatic to say the least.
    AngeLnChainZ

Answer by AngeLnChainZ at 7:22 PM on May. 24, 2010

• that's what i was thinking Angel. the only thing they are going to get is infection.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 7:24 PM on May. 24, 2010

• That is the weirdest idea: getting drunk off of tampons. I want to thank you for the fyi. Who knows what kids are doing now days. Just keep your eyes and ears open, and we can keep an eye on them.
    JaneWilliams5

Answer by JaneWilliams5 at 7:25 PM on May. 24, 2010

• Well, I don't know if it works, I just know that they are doing it. So whether they'll get drunk or get an infection, teenage girls are doing it, so moms of teen girls may want to know that it's occuring so they can talk to their daughters about it. I know I would if I had a teenage girl.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 7:25 PM on May. 24, 2010

• and chances are the odor coming from the crotch would be more noticeable than it would be if it was on their breath. Whoever thought this bright idea up wasn't so bright afterall.
    AngeLnChainZ

Answer by AngeLnChainZ at 7:27 PM on May. 24, 2010

• No way!!! Are you serious? That is SO not a good idea. People really do that? What are they thinking?
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 7:27 PM on May. 24, 2010

• umm for those saying it doesn't work.. how do you know? have you tried it? if they really are doing this maybe they know something you don't? hmmmmm
    Anonymous

• This topic was actually on Dr.Phil, he was warning parents to pay attention cause it does work...how? I am not sure I had to leave at that point, and there was something else they did it with..wished I would have paid more attention.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 7:45 PM on May. 24, 2010

• Actually, this isn't new. We did that when I was in HS. It burns like hell and doesn't even catch you a buzz... Or at least it didn't me. We didn't use Vodka though - we were more rum girls! If they have ever had any experience with alcohol, it won't be enough to get them buzzed... But I guess if they have never had a drink - you know, those girls who get drunk off a beer, they could catch a small buzz, but not enough to worry about...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:58 PM on May. 24, 2010

• "Whoever thought this bright idea up wasn't so bright afterall."

Teenagers thought it up, that's who. My husband also teaches in a high school and recently some of the kids told him that you can't get pregnant if you have sex in a hot tub (thank you Jersey Shore) and that they believed that Mountain Dew would prevent pregnancy.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 8:04 PM on May. 24, 2010