My step daughters are very picky eaters. It is really embarassing when we visit my family and they won't eat what is put in front of them. How can I teach them to be respectful of the food that is prepared for them? Or am I wrong in thinking this? I need some advice. Thanks!

terri0927

Asked by terri0927 at 4:22 PM on Jun. 27, 2008 in Tweens (9-12)

• The age range is older than I am used to but I will give my suggestion. With my son and friends kids who were very picky, I would offer a couple of suggestions, if they didnt like it then I just made what I wanted, if they didnt eat that, they didnt get anything. It may sound cruel to some people but I am not a short order cook. It is not like I was trying to force chopped liver down their throats. If my son does not eat what is in front of him then he does not eat until his next meal. But I have done that since he was young. The only thing he doesnt like is peas, and I respect that as there are other veggies I can fix. Good Luck, I don't know if I helped much.
    Anubis8733

Answer by Anubis8733 at 4:28 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• My SOs boy is 8 and we had the same problem. I did the same thing as Anubis8733. He either ate what he was served, or didn't eat. No snacks. If he was hungry, he could finish his dinner. I tried to make at least one think he liked for dinner. If I know he doesn't particularly like something, like carrots, he only gets a small serving, but he has to have some. He has come a long way. Sometimes it takes a while, but he doesn't even complain anymore. Before we started this, we "laid down the law" about it so there were no questions. My boys have the same rules, although I was more lax before.
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 9:30 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• what is it that is being put in front of them? it didn't matter how many times i went hungry there was no way i was going to eat the slop my parents call food.
    what dinners do they like to eat? what foods do they like? presentation matters and if it looks like it's gonna be bad, chances are it probably will be.
    hiddenpoet

Answer by hiddenpoet at 7:50 PM on Jun. 28, 2008

• My 10 year old son is VERY picky! I understand! When we visit my parents, they usually make sure there is something there that he will eat. At home, when I make dinner, he either eats it or doesn't. I don't fight w/him anymore about it, and if he doesn't eat, he can't eat again til breakfast. Now that he knows I'm firm about he's (slowly) trying new foods, and to his surprise, he likes some of it!
    juniper77

Answer by juniper77 at 8:28 PM on Jun. 28, 2008

• My kids have to try something new at least once. If it is something I know they do not like, I do not make them eat it. If I make something they do not like, they are free to make something different for themselves. If we are at someone else's house I just let them eat what they are willing to eat. I think by a certain age you know what you like and dont like.
    AKEllen

Answer by AKEllen at 2:44 AM on Jun. 30, 2008

• All 3 of my children and now my grandchildren are picky eaters. I found it useful to tell the hostess when we were invited that they were picky eaters. They were allowed to choose what was put in front of them not given a filled plate with things I knew they would not eat. To me that would insult the hostess. (refusing to eat her food)In my family we had buffet style meals and even had separate Kid food (pizza, sandwiches, fruit) for the kids at gatherings. Heaven forbid if they should eat spinach! You can't make them like the food and it builds defiance if you try to force them to eat something they don't like. It also seems like bullying imo. Anyway, I'd discuss the menu with the hostess before I went and offer to bring anything they would eat that she might not have.

Answer by admckenzie at 8:18 PM on Jun. 30, 2008