How do I handle time outs while potty training?

My 2 year old son is potty training. When he does something wrong and I put him in a time out he starts saying that he needs to go potty. I don't know what to do at that point. I don't want to make him sit there and pee his pants. I thought about letting him go and then returning to the time out afterward but I don't want him to experience something negative after using the potty.

Sammieanne

Asked by Sammieanne at 8:16 PM on May. 24, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Take him and tell him as you walk to the bathroom that he will still have to go on his time out. It is not negitive it is parenting really. That is what i do with my DD. If she is on a time out(which I try not to do) and says she has to go pee-pee I take her and as we walk to the bathroom I tell her she is going right back to her time out chair when she is done. She has been fine so far!
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 8:32 PM on May. 24, 2010

• 9 times out of 10 he's going to be saying he has to potty b/c it will get him out of time out . Just put him back in time out when he is done
    bandrplus2

Answer by bandrplus2 at 1:08 AM on May. 25, 2010