Dyslexia

How old were your kids when they were diagnosed? What made you think they were dyslexic?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:20 PM on May. 24, 2010 in Health

• I worried about my son for a while...he is almost 7 and STILL writes some things backwards.

But the weird thing is he is BRILLIANT. And I am not just saying that...he is finishing Kindergarten and reads on a 3rd grade level.

I asked the Dr and he said its very normal for kids around this age to still be doing this. Not a huge deal. And also, usually kids with dyslexia will show a deficiency in another area...like a learning disability...and he defiantly does not have that.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 8:48 PM on May. 24, 2010

• Dyslexia actually is not linked to any other disability on any large scale- and a lot of people refuse to have their children labeled, because of how it affects them academically.

I was diagnosed in adulthood- As a child, I simply thought that everyone did things this way.

If your child is functioning, and it is not causing any major concerns- and they are past the 3rd grade... well, have them evaluated by an OUTSIDE source, not through the school. Deal with it at home as much as possible, learn coping strategies, and help them apply them. There isn't a reason to have it affect their opportunities (which it will- they are stuck with remedial work)... I NEVER had assistance, and am SEVERELY "Lysdexic"- I learned to cope. HELP your child, and they will generally do fine, it is so extremely rare that a child actually needs any form of outside intervention.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:01 PM on May. 24, 2010