I can't stop eating!!!

I think I might have a food addiction. I'm not very overweight...maybe by 5-10 pounds, but I have been yo-yo dieting and gaining and losing since I was a teenager and I cannot learn how to just balance myself so I stay the same.
What happens is I diet for a while, eat healthy, get thin and then after a while I get bored and start craving different, unhealthy foods. Then before you know it, I'm gaining again. I don't know how to stop this once and for all.

What do you ladies do to keep your mind off of food? I think I definitely eat out of boredom and for emotional reasons.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:37 PM on May. 24, 2010 in Health

• Well, you really must figure out what is causing you to eat unnecessarily. Everyone has "issues". For some, they tuck them away through drugs or alcohol. Some people eat. Some people pop pills and others quit eating all together. Usually it's a "control" thing. You feel that the "habit" you have developed is the only thing in your life you have control over. Other than that - don't "diet" - as in "restriction". There's no need. Google the Weight Watchers Point System. It allows you to eat whatever you want as long as you stay within your point range. Or Google "calories needed" and input your info to find out how many calories you should be taking in daily. Make the choices and don't deprive yourself. That's why people "fail" at "dieting". And find an exercise routine that works for YOU. Just get moving - doesn't have to be a gym. Just do it!
    Anonymous

• let me know when you figure it out. i have the same problem! i hate it!
    Anonymous

• Maybe try eating several small meals/snacks a day so that you're never hungry. Have a yougurt, then some berries, then a few pieces of turkey, then a piece of cheese, then some salad, then some pears, then some other protein thing.
    Anonymous

• sounds like you have examined yourself - if you feel you are eating out of boredom or for emotional reasons, then the solution lies in addressing those issues. try different things to fill the void. develop different habits. i know... easier said than done, but it sounds like you already know what you need to do. trust yourself.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 9:45 PM on May. 24, 2010

• if you start eating b/c you are craving certain foods you need to learn to incoprate them into a healthy diet in order to not stuff yourself on them but not deprive yourself either
    bandrplus2

Answer by bandrplus2 at 1:04 AM on May. 25, 2010

• I've been doing a small exercise whenever I feel like eating but don't need to eat. Usually the activity will make me feel better. If I still just cannot stop thinking about food, I'll have two glasses of water and wait fifteen minutes. Sometimes I'm still seriously craving something so I'll grab a piece of gum. This way I get to chew something without finishing off everything in the kitchen like I want to
    flitpixie

Answer by flitpixie at 1:13 PM on May. 25, 2010

• Try focusing on what healthy foods you CAN have instead of the unhealthy stuff. I still obsess about food, only now I obsess about: how can I make this recipe healthier? What can I have within my self-imposed dietary guidelines and that I can make taste good?

I'm not sure what your trigger foods are but a LOT of the so-called food out there IS (addicting so no wonder you want it (I'm the same way).

Plus, I try to work out 3-5 days a week. I find that when I exercise regularly, I don't want to eat the bad foods so much.

And some days I do treat myself to the junk food. It's the overall day-to-day eating habits that will see you through the long term, the occasional treat is ok as long as it doesn't become your regular diet.
    FrogSalad

Answer by FrogSalad at 3:53 PM on May. 25, 2010

• I just don't eat. Im too busy running around after my 3 old....
    sherri6969

Answer by sherri6969 at 4:35 PM on May. 25, 2010

• Me too! As soon as I'm bored (after the kids go down for the night), I start searching the cupboard. It's not so much I was hungry or even had specific cravings, it was just that I wanted to keep my hands and mouth busy. So, in an attempt to battle my constant calorie intake, I started chewing more gum and drinking TONS more juice. I found this low calorie Wal-Mart brand juice mix and I could drink a whole 2 gallon container of it a day. I use this water bottle type thing and just suck on it everytime I feel like I should be shoving something into my mouth. So far I've lost 15 pounds =) Good luck!
    things_not_sane

Answer by things_not_sane at 5:02 PM on May. 25, 2010

• It helps not to buy the unhealthy food to begin with. It is hard, especially with kids, they want ice cream and cookies and we buy it for them, but sometimes end up snacking on them ourselves. The next time you have a craving for something sweet try making a glass of lemonade, or just drink plain water. Sometimes urges to eat are really signals for thirst. And besides, if you are full of water you may not feel like eating!! Chew sugarfree gum and go for a walk or take the kids outside to play... get away from the food basically. A healthy breakfast and lunch with snacks in between are good, and stay away from large dinners. You will lose weight this way!! Good luck!!

lbzmom

Answer by lbzmom at 6:18 PM on May. 25, 2010