If you cut out cable, internet, cell phones and had only one car, how much money could you save?

For us, I figured out we could save
Internet 40.00
Dish 140.00
Cell Phones 136.00
Insurance for extra car 60.00
Gas for extra car 40.00

$416.00 a month! Wow. Hmm probably not going to...but I guess if I have to I can!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:39 PM on May. 24, 2010 in Just for Fun

• internet, directv, and home phone are a bundle for $170ish a month
    Cell phones are $120 a month and onyl have one car now. so thats onle $290 a month but I live on my cell phone and dont use our house phone, only have it for the discounts we get on internet and dtv for having it, so i would NEVER get rid of my cell.
    Amanda7891

Answer by Amanda7891 at 8:42 PM on May. 24, 2010

• We could not cut out internet or phones-- we both work from home offices and out on the road. If we tried to get down to one car, it would greatly impact my job and might make it not work out for me.

Our cable is part of our internet service. We'd only save $8/ month.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 8:45 PM on May. 24, 2010

• ZERO Dollars! lol We don't have Internet, TV, or and extra car!
    MamaRae85

Answer by MamaRae85 at 8:48 PM on May. 24, 2010

• I can never get totally rid of our cell phones because it is OUR only phones; However we had to cut a line to save some money for one whole year. Getting rid of the second cell phone saved us $30. And we would do it again if we had too. Internet is also an expense that we can not cut, because DH NEEDS it for his job. I'm a SAHM so we can't cut Internet. We have however cut our cable before for year and would do it again if we had too that's $60. Going down to one car would only cut $20 off our car insurance; We could however cut out or gym membership that's $150 a month. $260 a month. We've cut them out for a whole year and would do it again if we had too. (we'll not the second car but the rest of it).
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 8:50 PM on May. 24, 2010

• If I didnt have a car then I couldn't work so we would be out money from my lack of work and I couldn't go to college. It's just not an option for us. I need the internet for school and my cell phone for work.

If you can go without these things and are willign to give them up then go for it. I sure couldn't!!
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 8:51 PM on May. 24, 2010

• MamaRae85- If you don't have Internet how are you able to post here on Cafemom. Just asking? Are you at a friends house? Library? Work? Really just wondering?
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 8:52 PM on May. 24, 2010

• internet was cheaper for us this way rather than having just the phone (internet is on our phone bill)
    Internet and phone is 40.00

we don't have cable so that is 0

I don't have a cell phone so that is 0 DH has a cell, but through work so he doesn't pay for it.

DH car insurance is 30 something I think we only have one car anyway since I don't drive

DH fills up his tank at about 70.00 and lasts all week

so only like 40.00 if I take the phone out oo lol, but I need phone since I have kids and my kids are always into something need it for emergencies lol
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 8:53 PM on May. 24, 2010

• cable & internet $130
    Cell phones $180
    van $220
    Insurance $50
    gas $60 (to fill)
    GRAND TOTAL $640

We are getting rid of our van in 2 months so we will be saving $330 soon! The car we are getting will be used to get hubby back and forth to work. We will have insurance and gas so probably about 220 is all we will really save. but that is a lot of money!
    MomofTwins07

Answer by MomofTwins07 at 8:53 PM on May. 24, 2010

• i steal internet. we dont have tv. we have prepaid phones that very rarely have money on them. and one car. it sucks!
    Anonymous

• My cell phone: Paid by employer. No savings.
    DH's cell phone: $80/mo...but really only $40 because it's a 50% tax deduction.
    Internet & Cable: Bundled with phone service...probably $60/mo.
    Insurance for second car: $60/mo
    Gas for second car: $400/mo

Loss of second income due to loss of car: About half our our monthly total income. Which then means loss of house.

Not really worth it here.

Answer by gdiamante at 8:56 PM on May. 24, 2010