Child Protective Services Question

Can someone tell me what to expect when Child Protective Services visits for the first time? Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:17 PM on May. 24, 2010 in General Parenting

• They will ask you a LOT of questions about you, your child/ren, tell you why they were called and talk to you about that and the claims. You will probably be a nervous wreck (and depending on the reason for the visit possibly hurt by any claim), and they will understand that. Just tidy up the house because sometimes they like to do a walk through. Also, they will throughly explain the process of what they will do after the visit (at least they are supposed to) and they they have probably visited your child at school (if they are school aged) prior to the visit. Then they report it to their boss and you receive a letter in the mail about their findings (as long as they don't find any claims to be true). Good Luck!! I've been there!
    Anonymous

• ME----- thank-you for that, I am already nervous.
    Anonymous

• Sorry, I wasn't trying to be smart or anything :/ I've been their and my hands shook so bad during the whole thing and then for a while after. I was just being honest with how I was. But if the claims aren't true then it WILL work out for you. And if the claims were made to just be malicious towards you then you have the right to take the person to court. Just be honest on every question...hide nothing...and as hard as it may be....relax. You can't stop it from happening but you can certainly get the process over and done with so you can move on. I think it's either 1 or 2 years they keep that stuff on file and then they toss the file (I guess it depends on the state you live in).
    Anonymous

• a while back i read a post - i think here or a link here that talked about what are your rights when CPS is called. i wish i could point you to it but i bet you'll find something if you google it. someone called CPS on my sister because my niece had bathroom issues - the uproar was that at her age it was often a sign of sexual abuse, but the reality was that she had a physical urinary tract defect. anyway, naturally it freaked my sister out and she spoke with a lawyer and some other folks. but really google stuff - it will help you know how not to get run over and give you confidence that you can handle what is coming at you.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 9:40 PM on May. 24, 2010

• ME---- I am just a ball of emotions right now because my child was put into a foster home for the long weekend because no one was around for me to "drop the kid off" while I was whisked to the hospital. I am supposed to call the Director tomorrow in regards to my child, but do they drop my child off or do I go to collect him? I am clueless! Thanks for your reply again. I am sorry you had to go through it as well. I don't know where to turn right now. I appreciate any advice you -- and anyone else reading ---- can give me.

Anonymous

• ME----- thanks figaro.... I will google that and see what I can come up with. If anyone has any links to pass on while we are here, feel free.
    Anonymous

• fightcps.com helped me through everything I needed to know, and my rights. I hope everything turns out ok for you! ((HUGS))
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:11 AM on May. 25, 2010

• ME----- Thank-you for the above link! I bookmarked it too. I will keep you guys posted on what is going on.... it is late, I should sleep.... I don't know what time their office opens up tomorrow but I will be calling I guess --- at 8am?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:12 AM on May. 25, 2010

• OMG that's so crazy! I hope it works out for you... i'm glad that other poster sent that link. i'll check back to see how things went. (hugs)
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 2:13 PM on May. 25, 2010

• ME----- This is an update. My child is now living with my husband. They moved to my husband's Mum's house. I get to see my son, but it has to be supervised visits. Social Services didn't come over at all to inspect my house, but they did go over to my husband's Mum's house.

I am a mess. I just want my child home, wearing his own clothes, playing with his own toys, letting me hear his voice and laughs. I am missing out. He starts at a day home tomorrow... he has never been around other kids! ;( I fucked up big time;(
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:13 AM on May. 31, 2010