Question on discipline..

I have a 12 month old son and sometimes when he gets mad he will hit me, his father or his toys and even throws things at times. I'm not sure why he does that considering we are a non violent family and we never yell in front of him. How can I stop him from hitting? And what causes this kind of behavior?

tasase

Asked by tasase at 9:37 PM on May. 24, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Hold his hands down and look in his eyes and in a firm voice tell him no hitting mommy/daddy it hurts and its not nice..thats what i do to my dd she usually stops and she has not been doing it so much latley!
    Anonymous

• Thanks so much! I will try that if it happens again, thanks so much.
    tasase

Answer by tasase at 9:43 PM on May. 24, 2010

• He is frustrated. I began putting my son in the playpen when he was acting inappropriately. I didn't use a lot of talking. I just said you are going to Time Out, You are not allowed to Hit. I only used the play pen for time out, no toys in it. Then I ignored him until he was done screaming. The when getting him out I would tell him the same, You were in Time Out for (behavior), it is not acceptable. I'm not saying this is a cure all, but it's a consistent plan of non-violent behavior
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 9:44 PM on May. 24, 2010

• It's natural for toddlers to test out their abilities, how to handle situations, and their bounderies. This act of behaviour doesn't have to be shown in front of him for him to understand how to do it. Children are very smart, a lot smarter then people understand. They can figure things out without being first shown an example. A lot of toddlers naturally hit.

Do time outs when he hits. Sit him in front of a blank wall away from any toys or entertainment. Tell him firmly he is not to hit and he is to sit here for one minute. (One minute for every year they are) Then if he gets up before his time is up (and he will) put him back silently and silently every time after that. Don't feed into him getting up with verbal rewards (which is what talking to him is), because that helps him gauge when you'll give in. Don't. When he sits there for his full minute tell him not to hit and why. Then let him go play.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:54 PM on May. 24, 2010

• The book "positive discipline from 0-3" has a lot of great solutions for issues like these. This is VERY normal for this age and developmentally appropriate. I don't believe time outs are appropriate for a one year old, and I think they are greatly misused. Tell him firmly not to hit, and redirect his attention.
    lifetimelove

Answer by lifetimelove at 10:41 PM on May. 24, 2010

• And if he throws a toy, take it away for the rest of the day.
    lifetimelove

Answer by lifetimelove at 10:42 PM on May. 24, 2010