does relationship status have anything to do with how well a man is at being a father?

my so helps with our son but not all the time. my sister thinks it's because we weren't together for a long time. she's pregnant with her first child. her husband is very immature and childish. based on his personality i think he won't help with their son. she has even told me he isn't going to help much. she's 21 and has been with him since she was 17. do you think that being together for a long or short period of time has anything to do with how well a father will help with raising his child?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:39 PM on May. 24, 2010 in Relationships

• I think it has to do with 1) How much he loves the mother (which would reflect in his relationship status... a man who is married or at least married the woman he knocked up is a better bet than some guy who just sleeps around and wont even marry the mother of his child) 2) How well he was parented 3) Age and maturity 4) The mothers personality etc.

Anonymous

• no. its personality, responsibility, and prioritizing. plain and simple. men usually mature somewhat slower than women (if at all, lol) so it could be age, but a baby should be a wake up call. too many people combine their relationship with their partner with their relationship with their child. while unity on all aspects of parenting is always best, of course, your relationship with him abd how long youve been together should have nothing to do with how he helps with the child, and acts as a father. i wish you the best.
    jeanniegirl82

Answer by jeanniegirl82 at 9:47 PM on May. 24, 2010

• No. I don't think that how long the parents have been together shows any clue into how either parent will be. There have been fathers who only had a one night stand and turn out to be wonderful fathers. Whereas other guys have been with their women for 10 years and are half-ass or even horrible parents. It doesn't depend on the relationship status, how well they know the other parent, or anything like that. It only matters how much the father wants to be involved, what he thinks his responisibilities are, and how willing he is to put in the effort. It depends on the person.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:51 PM on May. 24, 2010

• no but my dh was not really around much between 5-13 months and i think it affected their relationship. she is so close to me and wants almost nothing to do with him. she is 3 now.
    Anonymous

• nope
    thisloveofmine

Answer by thisloveofmine at 10:18 PM on May. 24, 2010

• No. My best friends ex husband was a HORRIBLE husband but he is a GREAT father. So I believe its all about the person.
    rebel07

Answer by rebel07 at 9:35 AM on May. 25, 2010

• Being a good father has nothing to do with how long the father was with the mother. It depends on the type of person the man is...a man can be a great dad but a bad husband and vice versa...
    mom2mybabes

Answer by mom2mybabes at 11:42 AM on May. 25, 2010