• In the Spotlight:

When did you let your daughter start to shave her legs?

My 9 yr old just asked me if I could teach her how to shave her legs. I told her that I would but not until July of this year, right before she goes to 4th grade. Do you think this is to young?

itsallabtthem84

Asked by itsallabtthem84 at 9:41 PM on May. 24, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• I was in 3rd grade, so no I don't think that is to young. My rule is when they show an interest, it's time.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:21 PM on May. 24, 2010

• I let my DD when she was starting 6th grade.
    SoniaL

Answer by SoniaL at 9:42 PM on May. 24, 2010

• Nope, if she is big enough to want to and if others are shaving, let her. It would be WAY more embarrassing not to. She will probably not want to keep it up though. LOL
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 9:43 PM on May. 24, 2010

• My DD just started shaving she's in 3rd grade.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 9:44 PM on May. 24, 2010

• My daughter is 8 and is often very curious about what I do and why I do it. I've shown her how I shave my legs and we discuss the options available, razor, creams, wax, etc. (I say shave but I use veet and rubber razor to remove it). Anyway we have had this discussion, we've even discuss menstrual cycles and wearing pads, wearing deodorant. She just this week asked me when would she start "shaving". I told her not until she's 12. Even though that's a few years away I have no problems discussing and showing her how to do "shave" between now and then.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 9:46 PM on May. 24, 2010

• My daughter is in 3rd grade and there's no way I'd be comfortable with her shaving her legs yet! She's blonde so it's very light, but I'm thinking 5th grade at the earliest. When she does start, I'll be getting her a Veet as opposed to a razor to avoid any nicks/razor burn until she gets the hang of it.

Answer by missanc at 9:47 PM on May. 24, 2010

• My dd has VERY hairy legs, and goes to summer camps, etc. I have been using veet on her since she was 6. It's no fun to have 20 6 year olds telling you that you look like a boy because you have hairy legs. I see no harm in it, if it makes her feel better about herself.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 9:50 PM on May. 24, 2010

• no, i dont think its too young. i started shaving around 11, but i remember before that a few people made fun of me for having hairy legs but i didnt know to shave because my mom worked 2 jobs and was a single mom & wasnt around much so she never really showed me or talked to me about it .. so eventually i saw a nair commercial and went out and started nairing and then eventually taught myself how to shave.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 10:00 PM on May. 24, 2010

• My mom actually never taught me,I think i was in third grade n one day i was taking a bath and asked my mom if i could,and she kinda debated and then she finally said oh just go ahead,and since then,I have
    mommy16love

Answer by mommy16love at 10:05 PM on May. 24, 2010

• My mom didn't let me until 8th grade and that was WAY to late. My now 13 year old sister is just starting. In fact, I bought her the razors cause even though mom gave her permission she was procrastinating buying them for her. It's mean! lol 9 might be to young though, I can't remember when I started to want to but it wasn't before 6th grade.
    thisloveofmine

Answer by thisloveofmine at 10:15 PM on May. 24, 2010