Pagan Satanism??

I am a very Eclectic Pagan, and pull from just about every breed of religion there is. However, I took this religion quiz on facebook, which I know isn't really official, but it came up as Satanism. I dated a Satanist when I was younger, but wasn't a big fan of some of the "Basics." But now I'm wondering if I should look in to it a little more.

Is there a such thing as Pagan Satanism? I thought the majority of Satanists were Atheists, and I'm a very hard polytheist.

So, are there any websites with factual information about Satanism or Pagan Satanism? Are there any "sects" of Paganism which coincide with some of the beliefs of Satanism?? Where can I learn more??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:22 PM on May. 24, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Satanism was named that to signify the rejection of popular religion. It has nothing to do with Satan, Satan is generally just a figure used to signify the rejection of religious norms...

Here is more information:
    http://www.religioustolerance.org/satanis4.htm
    http://altreligion.about.com/od/satanism/Satanism_Controversies_and_Misconceptions.htm

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:44 PM on May. 24, 2010

• well, in what i have learned, athiest dont believe in a god, or satan. and satan is itself a christian concept, and therefor is not included in any traditional pagan religions, since they dont believe in satan! i would think satanism, in any form, would not be associated with paganism, or being an athiest. look up satanism, and make up your own belief system about what feels right to you, thats all i can tell you.
    jeanniegirl82

Answer by jeanniegirl82 at 10:26 PM on May. 24, 2010

• i would think satanism, in any form, would not be associated with paganism, or being an athiest.

That is inaccurate. Mainstream satanism is atheistic. It embraces the basic human nature that was bound up into the imaginary idea of Satan by Christianity in its attempt to make people go against their natural survival instincts. There is a smaller sect of ritualistic Satanism that is basically Christianity that plays for the other team. Paganism falls across the whole spectrum, so you could be an eclectic who embraces Isis, Osiris and Jesus, or one who leans to Rhiannon and Satan.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:33 PM on May. 24, 2010

• jeannie - Satanism has NOTHING to do with Satan, or Christianity... And does have more in common generally with Paganism than with Christianity. Although a great number of Satanists are Atheists...

I would think if you are interested in Satanism, you should probably go to the source. Get yourself a copy of the Satanic Bible and see what you think... Chances are even if your beliefs are mostly Pagan, it was your attitude about others or yourself that reflected Satanism. I have taken similar tests on FB, and tend to get similar answers - but I think that's mostly because most of the answers don't align with my beliefs at all and I have to pick the "Best" answer, even if it's not the right one...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:33 PM on May. 24, 2010

• The Anton Szandor LaVey Satanic Bible.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:37 PM on May. 24, 2010

• ok fine, but if it has nothing to do with satan, why call it satanism? and if satan is a supernatural being , in any way, why would an athiest have anything to do with satan? i have several friends who are athiests, and they dont believe in satan, or satanism as they know of it. so these opinions are totally new to me
    jeanniegirl82

Answer by jeanniegirl82 at 10:37 PM on May. 24, 2010

• ok fine, but if it has nothing to do with satan, why call it satanism?

Because satanists believe the concept of Satan is the equivalent of the boogy man - invented to scare people into behaving, when actual the concept of Satan embodies your basic human survival instincts. Satanists embrace them and recognize them as just that - instinct.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:39 PM on May. 24, 2010

• BraidenIsMySon - I was looking for FREE options. Not to mention if I read something like that openly my DH would have a heart attack!
    Anonymous

• OP... I have the Satanic Bible... it is a plain black book.. interesting read.
    But, here is at least part of it (if not all of it, not sure)
    http://std.kku.ac.th/4830401674/The%20Satanic%20Bible.pdf
    Kaelansmom

Answer by Kaelansmom at 4:08 AM on May. 25, 2010

• Theistic Satanism. Not the Satanic Bible by Anton Levay as that is the "atheistic/agnostic" based satanism. To briefly sum up theistic (or the ritualistic) satanists beliefs they see the Christian god as a liar who lied about his powers in order to control man whereas Satan is the "liberator of man" who has freed man from the shackles of religion and a false god through knowledge. They define good and evil in regards to whether or not it benefits or harms humanity as a whole as opposed to what they perceive the Christian form of morality which is based on submission or rebellion against God. It's really interesting to read about the differences.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:54 AM on May. 25, 2010