Do bathrooms and breastfeeding mix?

http://codenamemama.com/2010/05/24/breastfeeding-and-bathrooms/

Every time you flush your toilet, an aerosol spray of water droplets – laden with bits of feces and urine – explodes into the bathroom.

An environmental microbiologist who studied the phenomenon said that close-up photographs of these bacterial and viral heavy projectiles look like “Baghdad at night during a U.S. air attack.” “Significant quantities of microbes float around the bathroom for at least two hours after each flush.”

In a public bathroom, that means the air is continuously blasted by feces droplets.

And how did that microbiologist measure the fecal fall-out? By placing gauze pads on the floors of bathrooms and then recording what he found.

If it lands on a gauze pad ... It will land on you. It will also land on the breast of the mother and the lips of the baby that you just asked to breastfeed in the bathroom.

lifetimelove

Asked by lifetimelove at 10:24 PM on May. 24, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Um, so what are you saying? That women should be allowed to flash their boobs all over the mall and such? So, go to the car if that upsets you Sweetie Pie. No exposing yourself in public~! Didn't your mother teach you that when you were like 2. Breastfeeding is not an excuse to expose yourself in public. Sorry.
    Anonymous

• Well, I breastfed both my children and if someone asked me to do so in the bathroom we would have left the restaraunt/ store.
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 10:27 PM on May. 24, 2010

• Anon 10:26, that was rude.
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 10:28 PM on May. 24, 2010

• Im sorry but I have to agree with this mother!! Im so sick and tired of seeing moms walk around exposing themselves saying oh I am feeding my child then do it in private. Feed your child before you go or something. What amazes me is some of the moms I know who think is so right to breast feed in public freak out everytime they see a female with shorts coming up to her ass or wearing a tank top that is just showing to much. Seriousally? Keep your boobs covered!! My child does not need to see it and neither does anyone else!!!
    Anonymous

• If you breastfeed at home you don't have to worry about toilet water.
    Anonymous

• Grow up. You guys are so clueless as to what is involved in breastfeeding a child. It doesn't involve flashing your breasts all over the place. You see a whole heck of a lot breast on most women nursing than you do on most women wearing a low cut shirt. Get over yourself.

And I'm sorry, there's no reason I should never have to leave my house just to appease the sensibilities of women who are too afraid to post their names. And for my children, bottles aren't options.
    lifetimelove

Answer by lifetimelove at 10:34 PM on May. 24, 2010

• If you wouldn't eat there, why should your baby?

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:34 PM on May. 24, 2010

• Ok, so you can bottle feed, but no one can breastfeed? And if they do, they should die of heatstroke in the car, just because you are embarrassed by breasts? I AM SO sick of you idiot bottle feeders thinking you get to do whatever you want. I breast and bottle fed my son...I would gladly do whichever one I pleased wherever I pleased. You don't have to look. I prefer kids to see the breast of a nursing mom than your skanky breast in a low cut shirt. And no...nursing is not exposing. I am pretty sure you couldn't tell if I was nursing or bottle feeding if you saw me in public. Get over your childish attitude and let women nurse or bottle feed who cares...
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:34 PM on May. 24, 2010

• Omg ignorant bitches are running rampant tonight apparently. I will breastfeed my child whereever and whenever I want! And the law is on my side. So if you immature fools have a problem with it, call the damn police and see what they'll tell you. That I have every right to feed my child wherever you do. If you don't want to see my boob then don't look! God I never realized that concept was so hard. Your eyes can move for a reason.
    Anonymous

• OMG so many of you sound soooo ignorant. Apparently you don't breastfeed. I could have breastfed my daughter twice before leaving home and she probably would be hungry while out and about. NO I WASN'T about to go to the bathroom to feed my child and I SHOULDN'T have to go to my car or home to breastfeed. Whether or not you can see my boob is your problem ... stop looking and P.S. tell you husband to stop looking too :)
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 10:37 PM on May. 24, 2010