What's the Difference?

Between Gossiping / Sharing News / Venting?

Is it only intent? Or is there more to it than that?

Thoughts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:27 PM on May. 24, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I think intent has a lot to do with it. Also how much of the details your sharing and who with.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 10:31 PM on May. 24, 2010

• i consider gossiping to be talking about someone to someone else about a subject or matter that you wouldnt say to the other persons face. if i wouldnt say it to your face, i wouldnt say it to someone else about you, or i would be gossiping.
    sharing news, is talking about news that you have the right to talk about. its your personal news, that you and your family and close friends have decided its ok to share, and no one will be mad or hurt that you did so.
    venting can be done anonymously, like on a site like this, or between you and a close friend that you trust COMPLETELY to not tell anyone. usually venting is complaining about and asking for advice about a certain someone or situation. sometimes it can be we just need someone to listen, too.
    this is what all these things mean, in my opinion.
    jeanniegirl82

Answer by jeanniegirl82 at 10:33 PM on May. 24, 2010

• Intent/ heart/ goals/ meaning
    It's like the inside scoop. Are you telling your husband something you're concerned about or confused about or just telling a friend something juicy, for no reason.
    It gets under my skin when people "share" but are mean about it, like picking on someone's weight or lifestyle. Makes no sense but I guess our sin nature includes being very judgemental.
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 10:34 PM on May. 24, 2010

• jeanniegirl - that's a good answer...what about venting though? You wouldn't always say to the person's face what you'd say when venting about a problem you'd had with them to another mutual friend right? So where is the line there?

I'm just curious really wondering what everyone's barometer on the subject is so to speak...

/OP/
    Anonymous

• txdaniella - I agree saying something just to be meanspirited...oh look at what she's wearing today or you know she's not as happy as she acts...that's definitely gossiping! But say in a group one girl always makes little digs at people; which then the rest seem to discuss when she's not around.

To me that's a grey area. The whole group has a reason to vent; and to others experiencing the same thing; but that vent often descends because well we are talking about women

Thoughts?

/OP/

Anonymous

• I think that gossip is communicating a happening event about a particular subject that is sensitive and unknowing to others. I think that sharing news is communicating a happening that in some way affects or attempts to educate the recipient. And I think that venting is communicating a disliked feeling by either verbal or written expression. They are similar but I think that they are separated by intent.

sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 10:57 PM on May. 24, 2010

• Gossip-- sharing info about someone that would hurt them if they knew you were sharing it. You share it for entertainment value or for the pleasure of being the person with the scoop.
    Sharing news -- info that doesn't personally affect anyone or isn't something anyone would be embarrassed about (for example announcing that someone is pregnant if they don't mind you telling)
    venting-- expressing frustration. This can be done keeping people's IDs secret or not. It's sticky, I think, because you might be saying something about someone else they might not want you to tell, but you aren't do it to hurt them, you're doing it to unload. The situation dictates whether it's right or wrong, I guess.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 11:13 PM on May. 24, 2010