can anyone enlighten me about satanism?.....

myself, have no named religion, i believe in induvidual spirituality, and finding the truth for oneself. i love to learn and am open to new ideas that i havent heard of. it has been brought to my attention, that satanism is apparently not what i have always heard/been told/read about. some people say athiests are close to satanism in a way, and i wonder about this also, as i have friends who are athiests, and they dont believe in satan, nor consider themselves to be close to satanism. i am just curious, and would love some enlightenment! thanks!

jeanniegirl82

Asked by jeanniegirl82 at 10:41 PM on May. 24, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• It depends on which branch of Satanism you want to know about: traditional or LeVayan.
    Anonymous

• I just posted some information for you on the other question, but here are some basics...

Satanists are mostly Atheistic in nature.
    They believe in the power of ones self over that of any God or Goddess
    They believe that one should live out their lusts and desires, and enthusiastically explore the "seven deadly sins" with other consenting adults.
    They follow many beliefs, practices and rules of behavior which are in conflict with traditional Christianity, and essentially all other religions.
    Uniqueness and creativity are encouraged.

You can get more factual information here - http://www.religioustolerance.org/satanis4.htm

Or in my religious tolerance group - http://www.cafemom.com/group/103652/forums/175163/Satanism

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:50 PM on May. 24, 2010

• The name was chosen to make fun of Christians and to keep them away.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satanism

http://www.spiritualsatanist.com/articles/satan/theism.html

BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:52 PM on May. 24, 2010

• You know, I've studied about a LOT of religions, but this is one that I have never bothered to look into, simply because of the name. I think I knew that it was not worship of Satan... but being a former Christian, I did have the idea that it was dark, evil, etc. I'm completely happy now being a Wiccan, but I'm going to read up on it just because now I'm really curious to know exactly what it is. I don't want to be ignorant and thinking it is one thing when it isn't!
    FemRising

Answer by FemRising at 11:16 AM on May. 25, 2010

• Really, as anon stated it depends if you're going with traditional Satanism or LeVayan satanism.
    Levayan Satanism is closest to atheism as they do not believe in any deities. The reason behind calling themselves satanists is based on symbolism due to "satan" meaning adversary. Most "satanic Lore' or stories about satanists actually come from Christians and not Satanists so it's easy to see why there is such a broad misunderstanding of what they believe.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:37 AM on May. 25, 2010

• i like Sabrina just posted some stuff on the other post that was talking about satanism. from what i have read there are two types of satanists. the type one satanist(LeVayan) does NOT believe that a real satan exists he is merely a symbol of rebellion to them. They do not worship a God or another being. They think that human power is within each human- not within some deity. They use the term 'Satanist' as its original meaning "the adversary." This means, to them, that many religions are hypocritical and contradictory to human nature and needs. They believe the evolution theory and feel that one creates their own destiny. They do think highly of themselves and that is whom they claim to worship. and these type one satanists follow the Eleven satanic Rules of the Earth,The Nine satanic Statements and they even have their own Nine satanic Sins.

continued
    flower_angel

Answer by flower_angel at 1:54 PM on May. 25, 2010

• and the type two satanist(traditional i think) really do believe in the Christian devil and believe that sin is the only way. They read the Bible, if only to get the worst from it. i am not sure if they follow the Eleven satanic Rules of the Earth,The Nine satanic Statements and the Nine satanic Sins like the type one(LeVayan) satanist's.
    flower_angel

Answer by flower_angel at 2:00 PM on May. 25, 2010

• I only know about Anton Levay's version for the most part: they believe that life should be the ultimate indulgence because death is the ultimate abstinence, to give in to all desires. When someone hits you, hit them back harder...etc. It is interesting. They are slightly like the atheists but they do "spiritual" rituals where the atheists don't do anything. I find the Satanic Bible interesting, I think a lot of it is a crock of you know what like hte Necronomicon, by Crowley, but it is still fun to read and learn if you are into theology/anthropology/culture etc. etc.
    mysilentmorning

Answer by mysilentmorning at 7:05 PM on May. 25, 2010

• atheists not at all mostly close to satanists. satanism has to do with fulfilling one's desires without guilt or self-judgement - hedonism. really just about pleasing the self (whereas many other religions tout the value of service to others). most atheists i know are more balanced in their world view - actually tend more on the side of service and moderation, whereas satanism is about indulgence.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 11:38 PM on May. 25, 2010

• Well from what i have learned Satanism is Living for Satan....I dont believe in living for him cause i am a christian and live for GOD...yes i believe in satan and god..but im on GODS side!ha..I dont want to go to HELL and burn in the lake of fire for ETERNITY when i die! so Thats my thoughts and nothing else!
    bonham

Answer by bonham at 1:00 AM on May. 26, 2010