Using Sunscreen/Sunblock?

Yes I know that you really should NOT use LAST year's sunblock/sunscreen. However I have also read articles that suggest that sunblock/sunscreen is good up for 3 years if stored properly. I'm really tired of throwing out 1/2 used bottles every year. So I wanted your OPINION on this. I would never use a bottle more then 2 seasons/years. Basically, I have a nearly full bottle of sunscreen from last year. Use it? Pitch it? Or used it until DH gets paid this weekend then pitch it? What would you do, especially if you have to wait until pay day no matter what?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:56 PM on May. 24, 2010 in General Parenting

• check the expiration date on it

I use mine until it runs out or the date is expired
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 11:00 PM on May. 24, 2010

• Oh my gosh, I have never heard of not using it after a year! I wouldn't throw it away... I will use it until it's gone. It's not cheap! And works just fine!
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 11:00 PM on May. 24, 2010

• ditto to ruttermama. I never heard of that.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 11:02 PM on May. 24, 2010

• OP Here: The NOT using it for more then one year/season, is because extreme (leaving in the car for example), can deteriorate the key ingredients of the sunscreen, thus making it ineffective. After several years of just automatically pitching our sunscreen this time of year and buying new bottles, I deiced to stop and think about it. Is it really necessary to pitch it? The bottle was stored properly, although the kids reminded me I have a second bottle in the car trunk. That bottle in the car will get pitched no questions asked. It's just this bottle that have had stored in my bathroom closet that I'm wondering about. It smells and looks normal and it has not expired. I guess it's okay, it's just I never done that before. I've always just pitched them, but I guess I'm tired of being "wasteful" if that is being wasteful.
    Anonymous

• Here is a link to the EWG's sunscreen guide http://www.ewg.org/whichsunscreensarebest/2009report

Answer by rkoloms at 6:44 AM on May. 25, 2010

• i just read from a post yesterday that most people regularly use 1/4 of the amount of sunblock that they are supposed to use, reducing the protection say from 50 down to 3! sounds like there should be none leftover.
    personally, we do not use the stuff...pretty scary ingredients. i can't wait to check out the link from rk!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 7:15 AM on May. 25, 2010

• I will admit that in the summer it gets really, really hot here and humid and we tend to stay in our shell, I mean house more. So I'm not surprise we have stuff left over. Seeing we aren't out and about much. Those days we are out, I apply and often reapply. I actually set the timer on my phone so we don not forget to reapply every 70 minutes. Often we don't even make it passed the 70 minute mark, or if we do it's just one reapplication. However, thanks for the comment happy2bmom25.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:42 AM on May. 25, 2010