Throwing food on the floor-how to take care of this situation?

I asked a question a couple of weeks ago about my 23 month old throwing food off of her high chair. I have been faithfully making her pick up her mess, and she does it, but everyday, she still winds up throwing part of her lunch on the floor.

How do I deal with this? I don't believe in spanking, so that's not an option.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:16 PM on May. 24, 2010 in General Parenting

• When my child does this, it means he's finished eating. However there are lots of reasons for this, one including testing our boundaries, sigh! When my eldest did this, I would quickly take his tray off of the high chair, make a really furrowed disapproving face and calmly say, "no throw food." If he was in fact still eating and just testing me he'd cry for his food which I gave back after about half a minute. If he didn't make a fuss about it I assumed he was finished eating so I'd say, "all done?" if he made some sign or noise in agreement we moved on to clean him up and get him back to playing.
    tzelvy

Answer by tzelvy at 11:11 AM on May. 25, 2010

• Well when she starts throwing food, she's ready to go do something else! Teach her the sign (sign language) for "
    finished" (all done) and smiling, take her down and to the bath.
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 11:20 PM on May. 24, 2010

• Ugghhh......mine does this too. She knows she's not supposed to, but she does it anyway. I usually just take all of her food and meal time is over. It's gotten to the point that I dread feeding her. I'm really sick of her wasting food too. She'll ask for more and then throw it on the floor...ggrrrrr. I don't believe in spanking either. I hope she grows out of this soon, because this is probably about to give me grays!
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 11:53 PM on May. 24, 2010

• mine does it too, and i havent figured out how to stop it! i like the picking up his mess idea!!! mine is 20 months and i dont think he will connect the whole "ok well you are done and dont get anything until dinner now" thing. if he was like at least 2 1/2 maybe.. but now he wouldn't get it.
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 1:01 AM on May. 25, 2010

• my son does this. he has two cup holders on his tray. i tell him if he doesn't want his food, he needs to put it in the circle. he still needs to be reminded all the time, but it helps.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 7:10 AM on May. 25, 2010

• My son did this when he was just over one - it didn't take but a couple times of ending his meal when he started throwing for him to get the connection. Kids are a lot smarter than we give them credit for!

Answer by missanc at 8:08 AM on May. 25, 2010

• mine has been doing this for awhile. and we know its when she is done. but she has gotten a little better. she tells me all done and she gives me the food sometimes. but i do take away her meal or bottle. i agree they are alot smarter then we give them credit for. its a hard habit to break. but i think it takes time and patience.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 10:00 AM on May. 25, 2010