Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Are Internet Ordained Ministers Legal?

Let's say I don't enjoy my husband so much anymore, right? And let's say I no longer want to be his spouse...

Now that we have set the tone for the story...

His frat brother got ordained on the internet for free and officiated our wedding 2 years ago. Is our marriage even legal? Someone please say NO!

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 11:26 PM on May. 24, 2010 in Relationships

Answers (6)
  • You would have to check your state laws. I was ordained online to be able to marry folks and it's legal but then again in FL you just have to be a notary to officiate over weddings. If in doubt, call Legal Aid and ask them.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:27 PM on May. 24, 2010

  • On a fluke, my hubby and I got ordained online for free a few years ago. We are ministers and all we have to do to legally marry people is show our papers to the local clerk of court.

    Answer by SpiritedWitch at 11:36 PM on May. 24, 2010

  • I am afraid that it is probably a legal marriage. In my State you dont even have to be ordained, any one can officiate a wedding. We are going to have our good friend do it with no qualifications other than "good friend." :)

    Answer by jenellemarie at 11:40 PM on May. 24, 2010

  • So, it varies by state?

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:41 PM on May. 24, 2010

  • In GA, you don't have to be ordained to marry people. The JOP clerk told my husband they don't keep a registry of ordained ministers. It is most likely legal and a lot of states such as Texas still have common law marriages so, your going to have to get a divorce if you no longer want to be married.

    Answer by matthewscandi at 12:20 AM on May. 25, 2010

  • In most states, as long as you recognize the person officiating as having the authority to do so, you are legally married. What is usually more important is that you were getting married willingly, which is evidenced by having the two witnesses. Many states require a "cooling off" period between getting the license and getting married, as further evidence that you willingly and thoughtfully entered into the union.

    You can get a marriage annulled by proving that it was entered into fraudulently or some other basis that demonstrates that the parties were not of the same mindset when entering into the union-- like both of you were really really drunk. Even then you may be hard pressed to argue that after 2 years.

    It sounds like you're going to need to get a divorce.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:27 AM on May. 25, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.