How many times have you seen a woman showing her breast in public while breastfeeding?

This is a spinoff from another question. I've only seen this once and the woman was in a setting where she felt comfortable, she was not flaunting anything. I just really have a hard time believing this is really the reason some women are against breastfeeing in public. It seems to me more like it embarrasses them to see someone breastfeedin, whether or not anything is showing.

EVEN IF IT DID SHOW, WHY IS IT SO EMBARRASSING FOR A WOMAN TO SEE A BOOB??? DON'T WE ALL HAVE THEM AT SOME POINT IN OUR LIVES?

Adelicious

Asked by Adelicious at 11:29 PM on May. 24, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I've never seen anyone breastfeeding in public. If I have I was totally unaware that's what they were doing. I myself have breast fed in public and only once did anyone say/do anything. They had to answer to my hubby which didn't turn out so well for them. Score one for the breastfeeders. It's not like I deliberately went out in public just to breastfeed either. Sometimes people seem to think that. Lord only knows why. Yeah let's draw attention to a breast feeding mom by staring and pointing. Am I the only one who thinks that sounds a little homo-ish?? Or is it jealousy cause mine are bigger??
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:53 PM on May. 25, 2010

• I completely agree with you. And honestly, I've never seen a women breastfeed in public in my entire life...let alone flash her whole boob while doing it. I also agree that seeing a boob is just an excuse for some underlying reason why it upsets them. I could honestly care less about seeing a woman's boob. I see mine in the mirror everyday. What's the difference?
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 11:31 PM on May. 24, 2010

• once where she was pretty exposed. didn't bother me though. I'm a bit more modest myself though. I lift my shirt from the bottom so the top of my breast isn't exposed(and I wear a tank top underneath so my belly is covered.) I never use a cover though. They seem to draw too much attention. The only times I have gotten dirty looks was when I used one!
    Anonymous

• for me its just that i think breastfeeding is a personal private thing that you do with your baby in your own home. its not too be shared with everybody whos out shopping. if i dont want to see you breastfeeding, you shouldnt force me too. dont come to a public place to do something you know that alot of people dont agree with. i just think its wierd that i could be eating at chillis, and a women is sitting at the table across from me with a baby sucking on her nipple. its just wierd. it doesnt even matter if i see her boob or not.
    i have never actually seen someone breastfeeding in public and its a good thing because if i ever do i will probably point stare and laugh and make her feel so embarrassed =)
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 11:34 PM on May. 24, 2010

• See, that's what I don't understand.... first of all, purpul, you could probably get in trouble from the law for doing that to a woman. Secondly, I think it's mean and disrespectful. And thirdly, why is it disgusting to you? It's an amazing and beautiful way to nourish a baby! Obviously, I'm not going to change your mind, but why is it forcing you to see? I think you make a point, though... people are embarrassed by the IDEA of breastfeeing, even if they can't see anything. It's so strange to me! Especially when I think everyone agrees that breasts are beautiful and breastmilk for baby is a good thing.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 11:37 PM on May. 24, 2010

• Are you like 13 purpul? Wow. You are VERY immature. And the problem is with YOU, not the breastfeeding mother since you can't see a breast for its intended purpose. And if you ever see my breastfeeding my son in public and you decide to come laugh in my face, I will just politely tell you that every doctor in America would think I was the better person for deciding to do what's BEST for my child and breastfeed, than be immature and juvenile and choose not to because its "weird."
    Anonymous

• if i dont want to see you breastfeeding, you shouldnt force me too.

Haha right. Cause of all us breastfeeding moms carry guns in our purse that we put to your head and tell you to watch.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 11:39 PM on May. 24, 2010

• never.
    Anonymous

• And you're saying the just KNOWing a woman was breastfeeding near you would bother you.... honestly, I dont often breastfeed in public, but if I was in a nice booth at chilis and it was a long day away from home, I'd give my baby the breast. You woulnd't know it unless you were paying attention, and then you wouldn't be able to see my nipple. I just don't understand why that bothers people so much.... I wonder if it bothers men as much as it bothers women?
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 11:39 PM on May. 24, 2010

• ive never seen a mom breastfeeding in public actually. sure i will at some point. i wouldnt do it personally, but i wouldnt be offended or enbarrassed to see it either.
    jeanniegirl82

Answer by jeanniegirl82 at 11:40 PM on May. 24, 2010