first finger foods, what types and what age

i have 8 month old twin boys and i'm curious as to at what age you all started your babies on finger foods?
(they have bottom teeth)
their grandma has suggested tiny pieces of pasta and i was looking at pasta at the store and theres so many different shapes and sizes.
I"m wondering a few things

-age you started
-type of finger foods you started with

and as for pasta
what kind is
-easiest to pick up
-less likely to cause choking!

so yeah just looking for some advice and stuff, thanks :)

ElsaSalsaaa

Asked by ElsaSalsaaa at 12:07 AM on May. 25, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• about 6 months cherrios gerber puffs
    bandrplus2

Answer by bandrplus2 at 12:10 AM on May. 25, 2010

• Banana, sliced & quartered. Cheerios. Gerber puffs. Soft cooked veggies cut up into tiny bites. Canned fruits cut up into tiny bites. Tiny bites of toast or bread. Any pasta I chopped up pretty fine, I didn't give pasta cut into bites til closer to a year.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:12 AM on May. 25, 2010

• You can fork mash many kinds of veggies and fruits and let the babies feed themselves. Sweet potato and bananas are good first choices. I save left over steak and when it is cold slice it very thin into mountains of meat shavings. Meat is good around 8-9 mo because it is high in iron that is needed by babies at this age.

I never gave my grandbaby cherrios or puffs. They aren't very nutritious and they seemed like a choking hazard. The puffs are expensive. They make baby pastina but you can buy little pastina for much less in the regula pasta area. Pasta is hard for babies to grab.

http://www.kellymom.com/ is a breastfeeding web site that has lots of info on starting solids.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:17 AM on May. 25, 2010

• you can also do diced pear, banana, avocado, cooked peas, beans, cheerios, peaches, chicken, turkey, etc...
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 12:20 AM on May. 25, 2010

• thanks everyone!! I'm definatly getting some fruits and veggies for them next trip to the grocery store :D
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 12:23 AM on May. 25, 2010

• My daughter was 6 months, we started her with some of the Gerber puffs and the yogurt melts. For pasta, elbow noodles are the safest cook them a little more than you would for yourself and then cut them in half. The fact that they have a whole in the middle makes them hard to choke on. Some other good foods to start with are cheerios, peas, corn, diced cooked carrots, diced bananas, diced peaches, beans, or any other soft foods.
    imamommmmyyy

Answer by imamommmmyyy at 12:40 AM on May. 25, 2010

• No wheat before age 1; it is an allergy trigger foods.

We started with puffed brown rice, then avocado, peaches, lentils.

There is great advice here: http://www.superbabyfood.com/ and here: http://www.babyledweaning.com/

Answer by rkoloms at 6:30 AM on May. 25, 2010

• Around 6-7 months. We started with cheerios, whole wheat pasta "twirls" (rotini) which I cut in half and it was easy for him to pick up, diced soft pears, soft steamed carrots, etc.

Answer by missanc at 8:04 AM on May. 25, 2010

• You can dust pasta in grated parmesan cheese to make it easier to pick up. Fresh mozzarella is great too and soft enough you don't have to worry about choking.  Any diced cheese is good.  Frozen peas and lima beans steamed really well is easy to do, just take a fork and smoosh them a little so they aren't as firm.  If you are giving eggs scrambled eggs is great.  My pedi recommended not avoiding allergens. 

Also they sell a mesh feeder thing that you can place different foods in then the baby can feed herself by 'straining' the food out.  It was great for banana when she was newer to eating.  We also froze some baby foods in ice cube sizes and put those in there so she could feed herself.  She still loves ice cubes in it.  It is kind of hard to clean though.

Anonymous

• My daughter loved the Gerber yogurt melts and the Gerber cheese puffs. Her very favorite finger food was mashed banana, but I also used to mash up canned peaches for her.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 9:02 PM on May. 25, 2010