Moms of kids prenatally exposed to alcohol or other drugs -

Does it seem like your kids get sick more than the average kid? I've noticed that my kids seem to get everything they are exposed to, and other people have commented on how often they are sick. I am a nurse, and I wash my hands almost obsessively. I have my kids wash hands often. Of course they do the normal kid stuff - putting fingers in noses and mouths, then touching stuff.

I've wondered if the exposure to toxins during development affects the immune system. For several reasons, it is very difficult for research to be done in this area. I thought it might be helpful to see if other moms have noticed the same thing.

Iamgr8teful

Asked by Iamgr8teful at 12:17 AM on May. 25, 2010 in Adoption

• We have two girls that are 6 months apart; they are now 4 and 3 1/2 years old. Our 4 year old is adopted and the 3 1/2 year old is biological. Our 4 year old's birth mother did cocaine during her pregnancy and our daughter was born cocaine positive. She is sick ALL the time with ear infections, upper respiratory infections, and allergies. We never even know she has an ear infection because she doesn't complain of her ear hurting. Usually we go in for the wheezing we hear in her chest after a cold and then we're told she's got a double ear infection.

My 3 1/2 year old is exposed to all the same people, same environments, everything. They are never apart and she rarely gets sick with anything more than a simple cold - and even that is not very often.

That leads me to believe that the drugs could definitely play a role in illness. Ironically, my 4 year old is the best eater of ALL my children!! :-)
    mommytoadam

Answer by mommytoadam at 12:18 PM on May. 26, 2010

• i had a friend who did meth when she was pregnant. that little boy is constantly getting sick. not to mention the health problems he already has.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:23 AM on May. 25, 2010

• I honestly don't think so, my moms generation consumed alcohol, though probably small amounts, and smoked throughout their pregnancies. My dad smoked in the house while my mom was pregnant with me. She also would have a drink every now and again. I caught the normal amount of child hood illnessness same with my brother.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 12:24 AM on May. 25, 2010

• I would think it does, but I don't know from experience, I do know that breastfeeding is a huge factor though. When you breastfeed you are giving your child many things that formula is not capable of, such as antibodies to help protect from disease and sicknesses.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 1:12 AM on May. 25, 2010

• More sick? Holy crap yes. You have no idea. Or maybe you do. Sometimes I think I'm crazy for how much he is going to the doctor. Ear infections galore. We had tubes put in. Asthma big time. Normal seasonal allergies. Adenoids came out. Tonsils coming out in two weeks. Sleep apnea (thus the tonsils coming out). Acid reflux. Had to have all special formulas when he was an infant. Speech delay. Speech and occupational therapy - plus early childhood intervention services. Sensory issues with food. Eating issues (eating only four foods since nine months old). Heart murmur. I'm exhausted. To make things even more complicated a MIL who is a nurse and tells me doctors just make up these things and try to push medicine on us. Arg! Then there are the GI issues..... I don't know what to say. But it is getting so much better. There seems to be a light at the end of the tunnel. Of course now we are in the

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 7:56 AM on May. 25, 2010

• lovely three year old phase of one moment very content and happy the next second sobbing. This is why I joined MOPS. I needed other moms for support. I LOVE my child, I just need to know other moms have are there, have been there, and now there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Almost there.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 7:58 AM on May. 25, 2010

• You know, I never related our son's picky eating to pre-natal exposure, but it makes sense. Special formulas, yep. I know he's finicky about texture & temperature of his foods. He has recently added broccoli to the short list of foods that he eats. The only vegetable, thank goodness for fruits. He had a stomach virus once, allergies, pneumonia at 15 months, maybe one ear infection (remember that I took him in for that, don't remember if we treated for that), but his sleeping habits were always a problem & finally getting better. He also had speech delays (therapy with ECI) although he has great motor skills. He's good at problem-solving, but gets easily frustrated over not being able to express himself & just little things. His tantrums come in waves. We do good for a while, then, look out....melt-down. I guess I always thought this was normal & in many ways, it is. It's our normal, LOL! :)
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 12:24 PM on May. 25, 2010

• Colds, pneumonia,n1h1....the list goes on.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 3:08 PM on May. 25, 2010

• My son never gets sick, not even the common cold. Before he came to live with us he was always on medication because the g-parents said he was sick. In the three years we have had him he is never sick with us. He was prenatally exposed to pot, cocaine and alcohol.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 3:29 PM on May. 25, 2010

• Matthewscandi, That is hopeful. I think all of our kids (OP, frog, myself) are in the 1-4 age range & your son is 6-7, so maybe as their immune systems increase, they'll have less illnesses. You never know about the pre-natal exposure and there's no way to even study it's effects on the children, so we just wait and see.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 8:30 PM on May. 25, 2010