I have a 10 month old that still wakes through the night...

I give him a bottle of formula, what am I going to do when he's 1 and he wants a bottle then? I don't want to give him a bottle of anything after his first birthday...

mandi_m

Asked by mandi_m at 1:16 AM on May. 25, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Well, stop giving him the bottle. It is not a need it is a habit.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:29 AM on May. 25, 2010

• As of right now at 10 months, though, I still think its a need for the nutrients, not a habit. Thanks. Anyone else have any ideas to help me out?
    mandi_m

Answer by mandi_m at 1:33 AM on May. 25, 2010

• My son is 2, and he still gets up during the night. 3 or 4 times a night sometimes. Make sure he has a full tummy before bedtime, that usually helps my lil one. But sometimes he's a non-stop eating machine!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:35 AM on May. 25, 2010

• So how do you/did you get him to fall back to sleep?
    mandi_m

Answer by mandi_m at 1:40 AM on May. 25, 2010

• After a year, I wouldn't necessarily go cold turkey on the bottle, but try replacing it with water. Gradually reduce the amount of water in it until there is no more bottle. Then do what you feel necessary to get him back to sleep.
    lifetimelove

Answer by lifetimelove at 2:27 AM on May. 25, 2010

• He'll sleep through the night when HE'S ready! IMO and from my OWN experience no matter how much food or formula you give a child they will NOT sleep through the night until they are ready. I have a 3.5 yr old that STILL wakes up through the night. She has a snack at 7:30 or 8 and she will still wake up most nights are 3 or 3:30....so she is NOT hungry before she goes to bed. She has done this ever since she was baby.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:43 AM on May. 25, 2010

• Try water. He/she may hate tht and not want to wake for it... 10 months old doesn't need tht feeding...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:44 AM on May. 25, 2010

• Try a relaxing bedtime routine...my DS is 10 months old and around 7 or 8 pm we start with dinner, a nice warm bath with bubbles (we let him play in the water until he's ready to get out or he's pruning too much for my comfort lol then put warm baby lotion on him) then about 15 - 20 more min of play time while I get his crib ready and one last bottle, then we give him the bottle and he's in bed between 8 and 9:30. Sometimes he sleeps through the night, and sometimes he gets up once (but never more than once) for a bottle around 3 or 4. I only give him 4 oz and he falls back asleep on his own before he's even finished the bottle. Hope this helps some. And good luck
    landons.mama

Answer by landons.mama at 11:20 AM on May. 25, 2010

• Institute a relaxing routine, and expect the waking for a while. At a year you can do water if you want.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:00 PM on May. 25, 2010