Is it bad that my 3 year old knows what sex is?

Today my DH had the day off and when we got home my daughter said, "Daddy can you have sex with mommy" He asked her to repeat herself and then she said, "I want you and mommy naked." I was creeped out. I feel like a terrible mom for it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:18 AM on May. 25, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• my 6 yr old doesnt even know what sex is!!!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:22 AM on May. 25, 2010

• for your daughter to know what sex is at three means you didnt do too well keeping it from her, dont bring it up anymore and stop having sex when she can see, sheesh she'll be in school soon and you dont want that type of drama
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 1:36 AM on May. 25, 2010

• YIKES!!! I am kinda shocked. My oldest is 9 and when a girl at school asked him to have sex, he came straight home and asked me what it meant. 3 is just a little young to have that kind of knowledge.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:49 AM on May. 25, 2010

• Wow! Not good.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:18 AM on May. 25, 2010

• WOW that is definetly wat too young my son is about to be 4 and doesnt know anything about sexuality to that extreme. My husband and I have sex at least twice a week and never has my son seen us you need to be more decrete!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:21 AM on May. 25, 2010

• How does she know about it?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:31 AM on May. 25, 2010

• are you talking to her about sex? or are you just not discrete? or is she getting this from daycare or something? I feel that is way too young and obviously it's so innocent that your daughter doesn't understand since she just came out and said it so nonchalantly. I would act like it is no big deal..you know if you freak out or tell her to not talk about it she will talk about it more.
    dbodani

Answer by dbodani at 2:37 AM on May. 25, 2010

• Why is it a bad thing? Sex is natural and I think its probably a good thing she has some awareness of it. There is too much taboo around sex...yeah your kid is 3 but they probably don't understand it anyway. Sex isn't dirty, isn't embarrassing and I wouldn't worry about it like everyone else.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 5:13 AM on May. 25, 2010

• My 3 year old doesn't even know the word! He knows KID STUFF!
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 10:08 AM on May. 25, 2010

• We had this problem with our oldest when he was 4/5. We don't have sex where he can hear/see us, it's alwasy in our room, door locked, after kids are in bed. BUT he did hear DH and I make comments to each other a couple times. Then of course he repeated them. He told me one day that he couldn't wait to see me naked later :) We took the oppurunity to sit him down and talk about it. We kept it at his age level. Now about once a year or so, we have "the talk". 99% of the time it starts because HE asks questions. We keep it age appropriate and comfortable. If anyone starts to get uncomfortable we stop till another time He's getting to that age now (he's almost 9) that he just wants to talk with Daddy. We talked to his pedi about this and he said that what we are doing is "right". He sees too many parents that DON'T talk to their kids till it's too late. He wishes more parents would be open with their kids.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:48 AM on May. 25, 2010