rice vs oatmeal?

I am currently giving my dd rice cereal, which she likes just fine, but it's constipating her a little. I was thinking about switching her to oatmeal (the baby kind). anyone had any experience with it? she's almost 5 months, still breastfed and getting the cereal once a day.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:31 AM on May. 25, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Do it!!! My doctor told me that rice constipates and start her on green vegetables. When I did start her on oatmeal, she had 4 bowel movements that day. She has bowel movements whenever she eats oatmeal. She is 8 months old and still mostly breastfeeding.
    janel09

Answer by janel09 at 1:34 AM on May. 25, 2010

• I vote for neither!
    Keep in mind that solids fed to babies before they turn 1 are for the experience of eating them, not for nutrition (a subject most doctors know little about).Nutritionists recommend starting solids at 6 months; many now recommend skipping cereal and starting with a bit of avocado mashed with breastmilk (or formula). Then baked sweet potato, oatmeal, pumpkin, pureed peas, etc. Jarred baby food tastes awful, is expensive, and you never really know what is in it. Be sure to avoid the allergy trigger foods. This is not a complete list: before age 1, no soy, dairy, wheat, citrus, egg white, strawberries; before age 2 no honey, chocolate, nuts.
    Two great books /websites on feeding babies, with differing philosophies, Baby Led Weaning www.babyledweaning.com and Super Baby Food www.superbabyfood.com You should be able to find them at your local librarY

Answer by rkoloms at 6:25 AM on May. 25, 2010